Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Serf

Default Need opinion on best location

Hi everyone. First post of many to come. I designed my outdoor kitchen assuming I needed about 36"X48" for the WFO. After doing some reading here, I realized I was way off. Looks like I actually need about 65" x 78". Now I'm looking for some creative ideas. Here are a couple pics of what I've got going on.
Thanks in advance.
I've also started a blog for the construction of my outdoor kitchen located at DIY Home Projects | What I'm currently working on There are a couple other pictures on there but not much. I've just begun but plan to keep it updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need opinion on best location-dsc_0771.jpg   Need opinion on best location-bar-layout.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Serf

Default Re: Need opinion on best location

Hi,
I'm no garden designer what so ever, but is it not possible to maybe redesign the layout of the kitchen "counter" and the chairs ? maybe utilize some of the space for the countertop ? and then keep it in the original place, i mean with entertainment, serving pizza etc.

I would be quite unhappy with option A and B. But maybe we danes think a lot different when it comes down to it

But i will for sure be following your build, the drawings looks awesome..
Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think the two main considerations are 1. Proximity to your kitchen
2. Prevailing wind direction during cooking times.( this can be helped by a taller flue, but you don't want to cause your neighbours annoyance)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen View Post
Hi,
I'm no garden designer what so ever, but is it not possible to maybe redesign the layout of the kitchen "counter" and the chairs ? maybe utilize some of the space for the countertop ? and then keep it in the original place, i mean with entertainment, serving pizza etc.

I would be quite unhappy with option A and B. But maybe we danes think a lot different when it comes down to it

But i will for sure be following your build, the drawings looks awesome..
Thanks for the comments.
I wasn't really happy with A or B either. I was hesitant to take up some of the bar top because I'm trying to make it like an actual bar. Meaning that large (70") kegerator shown in my blog will have to fit in it. I'm also adding an ice bin liquor well, ice machine, BBQ, sink, and more. I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:
Keep it in the original position
Change it to a 36"
Chamfer the back two corners
Lengthen the entrance to the bar slightly

Doing this presents two new possible issues.
1.) The outside of the oven (accounting for 4" of insulation and 4" of enclosure) is only 4" from a wooden fence.
2.) Second, the ground level deck will come right up to the front face of the oven. The deck will be composite, but has wooden deck joists.

Any issues with the above?

Thanks

Last edited by n8huntsman; 01-13-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8huntsman View Post
Thanks for the comments.
I wasn't really happy with A or B either. I was hesitant to take up some of the bar top because I'm trying to make it like an actual bar. Meaning that large (70") kegerator shown in my blog will have to fit in it. I'm also adding an ice bin liquor well, ice machine, BBQ, sink, and more. I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:
Keep it in the original position
Change it to a 36"
Chamfer the back two corners
Lengthen the entrance to the bar slightly

Doing this presents two new possible issues.
1.) The outside of the oven (accounting for 4" of insulation and 4" of enclosure) is only 4" from a wooden fence.
2.) Second, the ground level deck will come right up to the front face of the oven. The deck will be composite, but has wooden deck joists.

Any issues with the above?

Thanks
Phew, it sounds to me that you need to buy the lot on the other side of the fence

No, it truely sounds like a great area your building there. looking forward to the final pictures - if it was me, i'd prop be done no earlier than 2015

Regarding the wood fence close to the dome, i guess its no problem if you insulate propperly. But I know you can spray/paint the fence with a non flamable paint. But on the other hand, the dome dosnt get that hot - its more the oven opening where you could spill the coals etc.

But local restrictions can and maybe also apply, this you need to check.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Serf

I forgot to post the updated layout. Should I create a build thread and ask all my little questions within the build thread, or should I post a build thread and ask questions in separate posts? I'm probably going to break ground this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Need opinion on best location-bar-layout1.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Should I create a build thread and ask all my little questions within the build thread, or should I post a build thread and ask questions in separate posts? I'm probably going to break ground this weekend.
the first option is best.

Cool location, look forward to seeing the progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Serf

How much heat comes out of the opening? Too much to hang a TV over the oven? I have a TV over my interior fireplace but I suspect more heat comes out of the oven than a typical fireplace?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

I think it depends on how well your oven is vented. I think most of us see at least a little smoke staining on our entry brick - so that is evidence of at least some heat loss.

Aside from venting well (which you should do anyway), you could fabricate a blast door that mounts to the outside of the oven, that might help to keep your "leakage" to a minimum.

The next time I fire up my oven I'll try to get a gage on how much heat is exiting the top of my oven entry....though given the season here, that might not be representative of your conditions. Here's a picture of our oven after 18" of snow on 1/5. Not to worry, we were back up and running - baking pizza and smoking a pork shoulder the following weekend.

Regards,
AT
Attached Thumbnails
Need opinion on best location-img_20140106_003831.jpg   Need opinion on best location-img_20140106_003933.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
How much heat comes out of the opening? Too much to hang a TV over the oven? I have a TV over my interior fireplace but I suspect more heat comes out of the oven than a typical fireplace?
I realize this is only my opinion, but......

Why on earth would you want a TV above the WFO???

It's going to not just simply compete with the oven , but it will overtake it as a focal point. I don't get it.

To your question, if you size the throat properly, you won't dump an excessive amount of heat out of the outer opening. So, you could *shutter* put a TV over it.
the_dr_masuess likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin