Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Laborer

Default My oven Plans

Ok, I have been looking at making an oven for over a year now, Problem I have with doing it, is that my house is a "fixerupper," and I am far away from deciding where I would permanently build such a thing. Not to mention I may move out someday.

So I saw in the Forno Bravo store a pre-made pizza oven on a stand that cost around $2000 bucks. After deciding that that was the way to go for me, I came to the conclusion that I won't be able to afford that for a long while.

I am a chef, and I really can get this out of my head, so I was thinking of getting a friend to weld me a a stand on casters then, I could build my oven on that. It would still be smaller than all the ones in the free FB plans, but I think it could compare to the one sold in the FB store. So here is my sketch of my plans. I would love input from you guys as to what you think....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pizza Oven Plans.pdf (19.5 KB, 887 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My oven Plans

The biggest issue I see is the opening. In my opinion a 20" opening in a 30" oven is really pushing it. If the goal is to cook 16 or 18 inch pizzas you are gonna be out of luck regardless. With the fire in the oven you barely have room for a 12" pie with a 30" oven. And yes, I have a 30" oven.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Laborer

Talking Re: My oven Plans

I thought about the opening too, I'll go down to 16 inches.

I am only wanting to make 12 inch pies, loaves of bread and roast meats.

Not all at once of course!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Apprentice

a 30" internal oven wont fit on a 36" base. If your working with half bricks (which is the standard) that's 4.5" of brick per side, so 30" + 4.5" + 4.5" = 39" total outside diameter. and that doesn't take into consideration any insulating or finishing materials.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Laborer

well, I was thinking that would be my external diameter, before adding the insulfrax and vemiculite. Now that I read the instructions a little more, the outer shell would easily add 4 inches. Not sure if these plans will work...... If I reduce my internal oven diameter to a 19 inch floor, is it still worth it? Yet, the oven Forno Bravo sells has an external width of 38 and an internal width of 24 inches
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Apprentice

Forno's ovens are cast which allows them to create a internal shell that is 2.5" thick vs. the 4.5" shell we build with fire brick. Your best bet from what I can extrapolate might be to buy an unfinished kit oven like the Giardino60 and finish it yourself. The primavera60 which is the oven I think you were referencing uses the Giardino kit for it's guts.

In terms of money, the giardino kit includes everything you'll need for about the same amount of money you'll spend building a pompeii oven of the same size so I would strongly consider it if I were you.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
If I reduce my internal oven diameter to a 19 inch floor, is it still worth it?
No, in my opinion. With all due respect to James and his little oven, working in that small a space is a PITA.

If you aren't committed to staying where you are, throw together something with used materials and sand/fireclay mortar. Get used to cooking with a wood fired oven, and when you're ready to commit, you'll have a lot better idea of what your want you permanent oven to be.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Laborer

Okay, I am reviving my thread here. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Giardino60, I am on a budget for this, and need to build my stand. I have seen a lot of pictures of oven's built on stands with casters. This is ideal for me for many reasons.

I even saw a few built out of wood. - I know this isn't ideal, but I would love to hear thoughts on a wood built stand with a structural concrete top.

The alternative for me is to have a metal frame welded, still using the concrete on the top.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: My oven Plans

Take a picture of the metal frame you want to a metal fabricator and he can make it easily.

You will find pictures in the fornobravo store.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Laborer

Well, I contacted a neighbor who welds professionally who said he'd make the stand for 200$, looks like my plans are coming together.

So do you guys think a 36x36x36 is going to give me enough base for the Giardino60 after the final stucco and everything is added?