Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Laborer

Default Lighting interior while cooking?

I saw a thread a while back where someone included a light of some sort embedded in a brick in their vent arch so that it would illuminate the interior of the oven while cooking. I can't find that thread now as any search for "light" returns lots of info about brick weight and the like.

Does anyone know if there are good techniques to light the interior? Special light sources that can deal with the intense heat better, even if installed in the vent arch and pointing in rather than in the dome itself? Mounting tips so that a light can still point into the dome area without interfering with a door?

In case anyone else is attempting a similar search, here are some keywords for the search engine:
lighting shine bulb illuminate LED halogen cooklight
... can't think of any others yet. I will continue searching and will post back if I finally find the one thread I did recall seeing....
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Lighting interior while cooking?

Lol, 5 minutes after posting, I tried google instead of the forum search. Search term "lamp site:fornobravo.com" found this as the first result, though, searching for "lighting" in FB forum search didn't find it:
"Lighting the oven chamber"
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/l...ber-17445.html (Lighting the oven chamber)

Any other interested parties should go there for more info.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Keep a log burning.
david s and Laku like this.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Journeyman

If you want a lighted interior - look at windage - he has a sweet low tech/high tech setup!! Check out the commercial section.

CW

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Your worries will pass....

I remember concern during my planning and building phases about seeing that pizza while it cooks. Like Tscarborough said, some fresh wood on the coals makes a nice light. I ended up with a light over the oven entrance. behind my head and five feet up. It just hits the floor of the entrance. But, again, the light from the fire is plenty adequate to see out to the beginning of the entrance.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like the idea of lights inside the arch but alas to late for me... I came up with a light on a gooseneck that works well and it is a requirement to have light when baking bread at night or anything at night without a live fire.

I know the photos are poor but you can get the idea.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting interior while cooking?-img_1988.jpg   Lighting interior while cooking?-img_1992.jpg   Lighting interior while cooking?-img_1989.jpg   Lighting interior while cooking?-img_1613.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Lighting interior while cooking?

I understand now why you need a light. It looks like you have it figured out....I like the window in the door!

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I like the idea of lights inside the arch but alas to late for me...
Ditto - After looking into it, it seems like you could place a couple of quarts glass planes on each side of the dome and shine a light through. Sacrifice a little heat retention for night time use. I think that would be a good trade...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
I understand now why you need a light. It looks like you have it figured out....I like the window in the door!
Glass for the door is a Pyrex or pyrex like fry pan lid that is high temp soliconed to a lightly insulated door, I only use the window door at the end of baking after the 5 minute steaming of the oven or at the end of a roasting cycle for chicken or something I need to keep an eye on. The big insulated door is on at all other times for heat retention at times of no fire.

It seems to work well. Steams up when there is a temperature differential but once the door and glass get warm the steam goes away.

Chip
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Apprentice

Very creative solution, well done. I might borrow that idea someday (along with the design of your roof/enclosure). Actually I had already started to design the roof when I saw yours and said "that's what I'm talking about!".

We mostly cook pizzas and slow cook/smoke meats (ribs, brisket, pork etc.). I havn't constructed a real door yet (currently just using a peice of cement board that has been cut to shape). I've been wondering if a window or glass door would get too sooted up to see when we're smoking. Since you're cooking with retained heat that should not be a concern for you.

I know there's a posting on here somewhere with a door that is made of tempered glass (I think that is what it is). I have to look it up and see if he's got some insight on my soot concerns.

Thanks for sharing so much information here always interesting to see how other people get things done.

Regards,
AT