Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Serf

Default lath wire on dome

I'm thinking about wrapping my firebrick dome with lath wire befor adding the recommended additional mortar to the outside of the dome. is there any problems with this.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: lath wire on dome

If your external layer of refractory mortar is thick enough to take it -- definitely yes. The Artigiano ovens have wire mesh in the mortar. I know for all the wrong reasons. :-)
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Journeyman

Question Re: lath wire on dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The Artigiano ovens have wire mesh in the mortar. I know for all the wrong reasons. :-)
James
What wrong reasons?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

My poor dropped oven. I've seen my Artigiano inside and out -- which you are not supposed to be able to do. I will post photos shortly.
James

Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunello8 View Post
I'm thinking about wrapping my firebrick dome with lath wire befor adding the recommended additional mortar to the outside of the dome.
My question is, why? I've seen it wrapped around the insulating blanket that goes on after the mortar - that seems to make more sense to me (though I'm no expert by any means ).
Old 10-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Serf

The wire will add structural integrity. I'm wondering if the heat will efect the wire and if the extra stregth in the shell over the dome will cause somthing weird to happen with the dome expanding.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Master Builder

Hmmm ... something else for me to consider then - there's always something new to learn here - thanks!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunello8 View Post
I'm thinking about wrapping my firebrick dome with lath wire befor adding the recommended additional mortar to the outside of the dome. is there any problems with this.
Let me know how this works out Brunelle.

My wife and I are contemplating building an oven on wheels for taking to local events. And I am sure this would help keep the oven together. ... We have horrible city streets.

My costs:

My pics: