Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Serf

Default Internal rendering

Hi guys.

Lots of good information on this forum, although I am having some trouble finding what I am looking for.

I have built a friend a wood oven, and its simply not getting hot enough. I am going to lay some half height fire bricks in the oven today, but I know there is a LOT of heat escaping through the bricks up the top, after all, they are hand mades.

My question is, what would be the best product to render the inside of the oven with?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Internal rendering

Hi 7.62,

What a wonderful question. What we would suggest is applying our insulating blanket (at least 2 layers) to the top of the dome. This will dramatically reduce the amount of heat escaping from your oven. Also, do you insulation under the oven? This will also help keep the heat in.

Amber :-)
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Amber is right. You don't want to render the interior of the oven. Insulation outside will seal it up nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Master Builder

Hi 7.62,

If you give us more details in how you built the oven then we would be in a better position to give advice. Do you have any photos that you can show us?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Serf

I do have pictures, they are on my phone. NOt sure how to upload them.

I made the oven from hand made bricks. I know they are not the most heat retaining material, but being in a small country town, thats all I had.

The oven is now insulated using Cilica st-somthing and 25mm refractory bricks.

My issue is the dome. I was inside the oven today, so what can I render the inside with to thermo insulate the dome?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Hi 7.62,

I can fully understand your position in wanting to render the inside of the oven. However, we highly suggest against it. With our ovens we insulate over the dome and under the cooking surface and this works fantastic for us. If you could do this instead of the rendering you will have great thermal retention.

Amber :-)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Serf

Thanks for the good advice Amber.

Here is an image I managed to upload. The customer wanted a rustic look, and they love the finish, and this is why they do no want to render the outside.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There isn't anything that you can use to render inside the oven. Any material will crack and spall in the heat.

I'm not sure what you meant by your comment about the cal-sil insulation. From appearances there is no insulation on the dome. to improve performance you will need to insulate the dome. If you don't want to change the appearance, then you will have to live with poor performance.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The flue is in the wrong spot too, all the heat will be rushing out the top of the oven.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Serf

Hi there deejay.

I have bought some calcium silicate board, and those firebricks you can see. The board is arriving monday, and they will be installed in there then.