Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Serf

Default insulating floor

I know this is probably the stupidest question ever posted here but here goes: I am about to pour the insulating floor of my oven, the renforced floor is done and the perlite is awaiting my attention. On page 22 the verbal instructions indicate the floor needs to be upon at least 3 3/4 inches of insulating concrete. The photo, on the other hand, show the floor bricks flush within the 7 1/2 in forms. 3 1/2 inches for the support structure leaves only four inches left till the top of the form. Do they mean the overall thickness of the insulating layer is four inches and the floor firebricks are still insulated sufficiently on the bottom?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Re: insulating floor

I don't have the page you're refering to at hand, but four inches of perlite/vermiculite concrete or two inches of Cal-sil board are recomended.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That page looks like the the old "island" method. What dmun said is correct. 4 inches of perlcrete on top of your supporting slab...

Drake
Old 06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Master Builder

The directions state the perlite/vermiculite OR the Cal-Sil board, yet most of the ovens I am looking at in the forum that use the board seem to put it on top of the Vermiculite concrete. Is this a superior way to go, or is it overkill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would say that is overkill. Why go to the trouble of mixing and pouring perlcrete if you are going to buy the cal-sil boards?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Master Builder

That's what I wanted to hear! Anyone disagree?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Journeyman

mfiore:
When you are talking about heat transfer its not really overkill. Both do a great job but combined they are better. So you have less heat transfer and a much more efficient oven. Faster to heat up with less fuel and easier to maintain temperature for the long haul.

It really ends up being what you can afford to do.
If you are not worried about any of those items then a simple earthen oven with clay and grog mixture is good enough. Or is it? Its a personal choice that comes from the wallet.

peter:
The picture you referred to shows the bricks layed into the perlite/concrete. The best setup is to let perlite mixture harden and spread the fireclay or brickdust from cutting over the top for a smooth surface and then lay your bricks on top of that. Now with that being said I have not yet built an oven and going strictly on information gathered in this forum.

My 44" oven in progress...

Last edited by CajunKnight; 06-06-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunKnight View Post
mfiore:
Both do a great job but combined they are better.
Does anyone know how much better? Is the difference significance? How about two boards stacked atop each other. This should be even better yet, but does anyone know if the differences are significant (compared to a single 2 inch board)?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Master Builder

Fron an installation point of view 4 inches of perlcrete is about equivalent in insulation value as 2 inches of cal-sil board insulation...so if you did 4 inches perlcrete and 2 inches cal-sil double the insulation better...since the floor is the hardest to keep hot it is worth the extra by far and wide...definitely not overkill...IMHO
Best
Dutch
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Master Builder

How about 4 inches of cal sil? (two boards stacked on top of each other)?