Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Journeyman

Default Insulated Hearth Question

Ok, so here is a few real newb questions. I just got my two 90lb bags of portland cement and however many bags of vermiculite weighing next to nothing for my hearth pour this weekend. Having never worked with vermiculite (again why I am sticking to the newb end of the pool here) I was expecting some thing a bit more . . . substantial. It is just hard to believe that 180 lbs of cement mixed with fluff is going to create a 4" x 76" x 76" slab capable of supporting much of anything, particularly a one ton oven and a quarter-ton builder. Does anyone know the compression strength of this mix? How long can you work it ? cure time? Just point me in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulated Hearth Question

I don't know the answers to your specific questions........but many people have built ovens using this plan.

Trust the others who led the way for you.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Journeyman

So with great apprehension I poured the insulated hearth this past Sunday and as I toted my five-gallon bucket of 5:1 oatmeal-like mixture and dumped it in place I was more convinced than ever that this can't be correct. The pour took about two hours and upon completion it was as mushy and useless as I had suspected when first viewing the dry ingredients.
Five hours later - mushy and useless.
Monday morning - a bit more rigid but easily compressed, still useless.
Tuesday morning - solid as a rock, my faith restored.

Who thinks of this stuff?
Jim
Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Laborer

Good to know. I am just about to prepare the form for the hearth, so I am right behind you.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine was very rigid in less than 8 hours.............

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Journeyman

Yeah, I think I used too much water.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well at least it hardened up.

Made any progress?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Master Builder

sounds like other vermiculte experiences posted here. I thought mine would never solify....