Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Serf

Default Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen

Hi,
I am new here and am interested in building an outdoor kitchen with a 42" Pompeii oven in the corner. I know that there are probably many posts about corner builds but, if there is a thread that is more suited for me can someone point me in the right direction. I will post some preliminary pictures soon.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen

Hello Jason,

I am about to pore my foundation slab for a corner build (after lurking around FB for over a year and switching designs multiple times) and I am getting a lot of my inspiration from http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/w...tah-17761.html (Wood Fired Beehive in Utah). Even though he is not in a corner he is building a corner unit. Another good one is Texman's build here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html (Texman Build).

I hope this helps. Oh yeah...and if you haven't downloaded the Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans be sure to do that. It discusses corner builds in there as well.

Good luck.

Nate
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nate,

Hey, I am honored that you would think my build is good enough to reference to others.

Thanks,

Russell
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jason,

Welcome to the addicted world of WFOs. Another great resource of some of the best builds on the site is Lburou in the newbie section "http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/newbie-s-survey-forno-bravo-treasures-15133.html". Whether it is barrel, corner, igloo, etc. there is a vast amount of innovations and tips here.

Good Luck

Russell
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Apprentice

Russell,

Who are you kidding?! Your craftsmanship and attention to detail were immediately obvious if you ask me. Many of us are and will continue watching your build. No pressure of course.

Nate
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Serf

Hi Jason,

I just started a corner build as well. My WFO will be part of an outdoor kitchen with a built in BBQ grill on one side fo the oven and a counter for prep etc on the other.

I also second Nate's suggestions. The newbie section is very good resourse and Utahbeehiver and Texman are great inspiration.

Good luck
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Serf

jlopiccolo2,
That sounds like what am trying to do also with the addition of a wok burner. I have moved and re-moved blocks to see what the best shape will be. Secondly, through plans on this site I think I have chosen an oven with an interior area of about 49". This is probably bigger than I need but, unless there is a good reason other than cost it's not that big of a deal. I was looking at the hearth build and have a question. On the corner build style where there is the diagonal wood storage area with dead spaces in the corners has anyone thought of filling those 2 dead spaces with sand before the vermiculite mixture is poured?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Serf

HI spitfirefd,

If your referring to the dead space under the hearth slab, not sure why you would want to fill with sand. you could just use blocks within the outer block wall to essentially block out the unwanted dead space. check out some pics from utahbeehiver. He is a bit ahead of me on a corner build and you can see his block stand layout which would help...hopefully the below link is correct....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/w...tah-17761.html (Wood Fired Beehive in Utah)
good luck.

Regards
Joe
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopiccolo2 View Post
HI spitfirefd,

If your referring to the dead space under the hearth slab, not sure why you would want to fill with sand. you could just use blocks within the outer block wall to essentially block out the unwanted dead space. check out some pics from utahbeehiver. He is a bit ahead of me on a corner build and you can see his block stand layout which would help...hopefully the below link is correct....

Regards
Joe
I also struggled with the problem of "wasted space" underneath a corner build and decided that having movable carts made to utilize those spaces (rather than fill/block them) would work well for me. As a result, I have two large work surfaces and extra storage that's easily accessible. The carts were made for me by our local community college (as a student project) and I only paid for materials. Take a look at my albums here and through the link to my home page pictures for The Dragonfly Den for more photos. I'm very pleased with the amount of wood I can store and easily grab (without bonking my head on the underside of the landing) and the large addition of available prep/serve surfaces.

For your convenience I added pics here of the initial block layout, basic oven dome, and end results (showing completed oven corner build with carts out and in).
Attached Thumbnails
Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen-p7080947.jpg   Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen-p9011359.jpg   Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen-p5227167_sm.jpg   Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen-dsc08049_sm.jpg  
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 07-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike,

I knew I had seen the rolling wood card idea somewhere. Told the other half about it and might use it in my build (single opening though).

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log