Old 04-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up The Incredible Arch

I thought I'd do a post on Arches and some photos I've taken in different places.....hopefully inspirational. It is the basic structure of a dome too, but that can be a different post!

There is a nice discussion of examples on Wickipedia... Arch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Spain has some lovely ones from it's Moorish/Jewish/Christian background, not to mention those Romans. It's interesting to note that some civillizations never found it, like the Mayan builders of Tulum in Mexico versus the Romans who really brought it into an impressive above ground practice.

It is an extremely strong structure...but I'm a geologist, not an engineer so I'll leave that to the JE Patrick.

James mentioned that they are very common throughout europe and they support some amazing structures like Roman Aqueducts, bridges and cathedrals.....here are a few pics.

The first one is from a Knights Templar castle being rebuilt...not old and new sides......second is of bricks....third note the double arch.....and fourth would make a nice oven entry design!
Attached Thumbnails
The Incredible Arch-arch-oldnew.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-bricks.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-double.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-brick.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The Incredible Arch

Church, monastary, cathedral, stair passageway and a through street...
Attached Thumbnails
The Incredible Arch-arch-church.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-well.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-cathedral.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-pipes.jpg   The Incredible Arch-arch-teruel.jpg  

...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Master Builder

I think I need to move to Europe now.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is an interesting study.....Arch and Lintel entrance to an old roman storeroom.

Can't say if the stone lintel was original or refurbished some time in the last 2000 years....but to me clearly shows that the arch is the stronger structure.

I thought the clay storage jars were neat too....what was left of them in the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
The Incredible Arch-lintel-test-1500-9.jpg   The Incredible Arch-clay-jar-bases.jpg  

...enjoy every sandwich!

Last edited by Xabia Jim; 04-09-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Incredible domes too! Looks like some of our ovens but these are stonework.

first two a church, then the dome at Santiago...with the eye!
Attached Thumbnails
The Incredible Arch-dome-brickwork.jpg   The Incredible Arch-dome-2-brickwork.jpg   The Incredible Arch-dome-w-eye.jpg   The Incredible Arch-domes-eye.jpg  

...enjoy every sandwich!