Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Serf

Default Hi From San Jose, Ca. Question about Metal Base

Hi Everyone,
My name is Sheldon and I am thinking of getting into the Mobile WFO business. Before I dive in the Mobile side, I would like to build an WFO in my back yard and perfect and promote my pizzas,

I was able to buy this stand measuring 42" deep x 42" wide x 41" high (without the casters) and made of sturdy 2.5' square tubing. I was thinking of bolting an angle iron box to extend it to the size needed.

Questions:
What size angle iron box would I need for a 36" oven?

Would I be able to create a U shape foundation rather then a square one to save money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sheldon the Newbie.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi From San Jose, Ca. Question about Metal Base-ovenbase-.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hi From San Jose, Ca. Question about Metal Base

Sheldon,

Take a look at the free pompeli plans that can be downloaded from our forum host. It will help you with determining dimensions. But here is a baseline, 36" ID oven, plus 9" of fire brick (2 x 4.5"), plus 4" min ceramic fiber insulation (2 x 2") - it could be other types but CF will take up the least amount of room, plus what ever your final covering will be. so 49" plus outside covering if my math is correct. Are you really saving any money by a u shape foundation?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 AM
Journeyman

Just a quick look, but that frame does not look very strong. First, the wheels have to go, they will get crushed. Second, there is no support in the front. What do you plan to use for the base of the oven? Third, there is no lateral stability. The frame should have some sort of diagonal cross members. If you put a heavy oven on top of that frame weighing say 2-3 thousand poounds, the frame will not resist any twisting, swaying, etc. Weld a diagonal cross member on each side. Also you will need to close in the fron of that frame somehow.

Just some thoughts.

Disclaimer: I am known as the king of over-design.....so take any advice I provide with caution!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Serf

Thanks for your input, I'll try to draw out my plan for the use of angle iron to support the oven base and frame.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

SJS,

There are a couple builds out on the forum that have metal base frames, some with wheels, so without. Do a search to find them but I did remember this build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...tml#post146970 (Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Apprentice

You could also drive to Forno Bravo in Salinas Ca. and talk to them. They have some stands for sale and could easily give you some guidance on weight etc.

These things are very heavy.
Good luck.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.