Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Serf

Default Hi from nz

Hey there everyone,from Christchurch, New Zealand,been lurking for a while now,being a sponge to all the great info on here.
Am about to start a venture into the wfo world,so excited.
Wanted to do a brick oven but here in the south of the mighty NZ fire bricks are soooo expensive,hence i have opted for a modular which i have come across.

cheers Tanz

Last edited by tanz; 01-12-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Hi from nz

Gidday, Yeah i'm from Chch also, Sorry didn't see your post before otherwise would have said hi.

There some reasonable supply information here if you haven't read it yet already.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/b...s-nz-7192.html (Building supplies in NZ)

I'm also kinda shafted by the cost of bricks best i can find is about 4.95+gst
i'm thinking of fire bricks for the floor and perhaps arch then the rest out of castable.

How you getting on with your design?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Serf

Sounds like we are going to be doing a very similar oven,we have decided also to go with the firebricks on the floor and arch and a castable that we are getting from Canterbury Clay Bricks.
We have dug out and boxed (we are doing a corner design)and hoping to lay concrete this weekend.
Would be great to keep in touch.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Laborer

yeah sounds good, Canterbury clay don't do castable, they sell pretty much everything although i don't know if they have that much in stock though. We are possibly looking at getting half to a full pallet from invercargil direct from the factory later in the year. sounds like your a head of us. I've got structural problems with an existing retaining wall and adjacent tree beside my site which i will need to sort out first, I'm looking at doing a base similar in concept to the Morgans wfo project http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...uild-6703.html (The Morgan's WFO build)

But just a round dome style oven instead.

Are you going to go geodesic tiles or for full cast. I haven't made up my mind yet.
I'm looking at doing a 900 inside diameter, have you done a drawing up of yours ?

Anyway keep us posted be interested in how you get on and yes would be good to keep in touch.

Regards
Bart
Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day guys.
I did a pizza oven here with castable concrete, its much easier than a brick dome, and Im a brickie too....
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Serf

Sorry my mistake in saying castable,i meant modular(we have changed our plans so many times it got confusing.Its about a 40 inch oven.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Laborer

@Brickie
How thick is your thermal mass? also looks a bit close to the edge on the sides how well did the insulation work there?

@Tanz, Lol, I know what you mean i have so many paper models and drawings laying around i almost don't know whats what anymore... yeah their modular oven looks alright.

What are you planning to do on insulation?
So far we plan on using 100mm Perlite concrete under the firebricks and about 200mm on the outside but still deciding.

Regards
Bart
Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have no issues with my oven, it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to heat up and retains the heat for hours.
Obviously each oven will be different in the way they perform.

Just build one......
Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Serf

we are using 50mm silicate board underneath the oven and going to do couple of layers of insulation blanket on top.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Laborer

Sweet yeah that will do the deed. did you pick that up from formans insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanz View Post
we are using 50mm silicate board underneath the oven and going to do couple of layers of insulation blanket on top.