Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Serf

Default Hello from Maine

Hi folks, my name is Stew and I have been humbled by my efforts to build a brick oven.

Well, now that the snow has melted and the weather is starting to warm. I (crazily) decided to add a brick oven to my backyard for the family. With limited funds, I decided to put it in myself. I think I must be crazy. I quickly found that I am NOT a stone mason and now have a whole lot of respect for those folks.

I know now that many here have poured a slab foundation and constructed the C shape block stand with a slab on top. I did not because of concern of cost and lack of know how. Instead I dug down to pure sand (they back filled my yard with sand when they built it) then laid down crushed stone, tamped and dry stacked blocks in a rectangle. I then filled every other hole with rebar and concrete. So now I'm left with this stand that I plan on filling with sand and a layer of insulation (clay and vermiculite).

Unfortunately the stand is not completely level when you measure it, but it looks pretty good from a distance. I'm going to continue to do the best I can with the pizza oven following plans here and getting advice from forum folks. Wish I had started here but I didn't. Right now I'm shopping around trying to find the lowest cost on firebrick. So far I've found $2 per brick.

I'll post pics of my block stand as soon as I can figure it out. I have a driving desire to complete this thing.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hello from Maine

I would hesitate to build on a dry stack foundation, especially if it is on sand.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Serf

Pizza oven pictures by radiostew - Photobucket

Here are some pics of my block stand. I was told that sand was very compact and would not heave or move very much. Also, I thought the FB guidelines recommended dry stacking. Could anyone explain? Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dry stacking and "at least" pouring every other hole is fine by FB standards. However, they do recomend placing it on a concrete slab. Your pics don't resemble dry stacking. They look like the blocks were layed in mortar. However, I don't see a reinforced concrete slab supporting it. My suggestion: Don't go to any further "expense" until you do have a slab to build it on. That may mean disassembling the blocks now instead of the entire oven later.
Just Say'n

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.