Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Serf

Default Getting Started on First build

Hello I am going to build my first oven based on "2005 small commercial pizza oven w/Pat Manley" From the MHA site. (www. mha-net.org) I found thru a link on this site. W/that said I have a couple of questions. First if I look at the pics I noticed that they pulled out a course of brick on each side of the entry, Why? & there is threaded rod and c-channel on both sides, This is for strength, But dies it need to stay on the build after the motar sets up. Thanks & I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Serf

Default Re: Getting Started on First build

I see A lot of views but no response. Is the Questions not clear?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Sorry I do not think anyone wanted to be rude....but the oven your asking advice for is on another site...right.
I think you'll find advice a' plenty on forno pompeii oven construction and general construction help...but a specific question about another sites oven oven construction is well a bit of an ask.
Theres a lot of good folk willing to give ther time and there expertice perhaps a more general question might be able to be answered

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That oven is a low dome Neapolitan, but it is "naked" without the support of insulation/skin and thus must be restrained with iron strapping.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Apprentice

The threaded rod/channel seems to be overkill...especially once the mortar sets. I dont see the advantage. The brick and mortar are going to expand/contract slightly with each firing of the oven. External metal support might actually prevent expansion and might cause internal stress/cracking. But, then again, If the steel heats up, it will expand as well....who knows? Maybe the reason this guy needed the external support was that he cut all of his bricks prior to mortaring, and built the entire dome in a one session. When I built my dome, I would lay one course, then let it setup for a day or so before adding another course.

It took me a while to figure out which bricks were pulled out (I think I know where you are talking about) It looks like they are planning to rest a side counter on that.

I would strongly recommend getting the plans on this website....it walks you through step by step. You can adjust as needed.

Good luck with your build! (it is well worth the effort....)
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The co-efficient of thermal expansion of steel is much higher than firebrick, so it will get looser as it heats up. Without the strap, there is not enough support for the dome.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any reason why you want to build this oven and not a Pompeii? Just curious.

Here's a good read:
Why Build an Italian Brick Oven | Round Brick Oven Design

Updated!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Sorry I do not think anyone wanted to be rude....but the oven your asking advice for is on another site...right.
I think you'll find advice a' plenty on forno pompeii oven construction and general construction help...but a specific question about another sites oven oven construction is well a bit of an ask.
Theres a lot of good folk willing to give ther time and there expertice perhaps a more general question might be able to be answered

Regards Dave
Thanks for this response I did not realize this would be a problem. I also did not think people were being rude. I thought it was my explantion not being clear.
I have been reading this site for a few months now and all on here semm to be very helpful. Thank-you for your response and all that have come in. My questions have been made clear to me. Thanks again for all your help
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Any reason why you want to build this oven and not a Pompeii? Just curious.

Here's a good read:
Why Build an Italian Brick Oven | Round Brick Oven Design
Well I have looked at the domes and tought it to be too hard as I have no experience. I saw this and thought I can handle this build much easier.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I have looked at the domes and tought it to be too hard as I have no experience.
Don't let the shape of a dome intimidate you. Many (most?) of us here had little to no masonry experience prior to building our ovens. The very first brick I ever laid was in the floor of my oven.

The shape of a dome is very forgiving; it literally holds itself together. It's the perfect shape for a beginner. You have physics on your side.

Don't choose your oven style based on your perceived skill (or lack of!). Pick the oven style that will work best for what you want to cook.

If you have basic handyman skills (power saw, drill, hammer, screwdriver, shoveling stuff) and can read directions, you can build either style of oven.

Updated!