Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Peasant

Default First Pizza was a disaster

Today was the first time I baked a Pizza in my new FB Oven ( see my other thread " used whole bricks instead of half" in this section.
The pizza tasted like a day old pizza left out door in the sun all day.
It was tough like shoe leather and dried out. I kept waiting for the side edges to brown and when they did, the rest was dried out.
My oven inside dome was 750 degrees and floor around 650-700. The fire had been burning for about 3 hours . I'm hoping it will get to a steady 800 degrees when the oven gets completely dried out.
I was excited today when the oven got to 600 degrees in about 45 min. The next two hours, it only increased a little over 100 degrees.
One good thing, the inside dome went white in 2 hours 45 min.
The outside of the dome was 90 degrees, so I wasn't loosing heat thru the dome.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: First Pizza was a disaster

It wasn`t the oven`s fault. What was your pizza recipe?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Peasant

No, I don't blame the oven and not even the recipe. I've used the recipe many times in the home oven. Taste great
I need to learn when to remove the pizza from the WFO. I was looking for the crust to be brown around the outside edges. The bottom got hard and tough before the edges brown.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mex - get your hearth to 750 - 800 deg. You should see a well cooked pizza in 90 to 180 seconds max. You mentioned the floor was 650 - 700, that should have worked. Do you have a live fire? It's easy to "scoot" the pie closer to the flame and get the brown you want, very easy to get the black you don't. Always have a live fire for pizza, then its just a matter of learning the ways of your oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Laborer

Don't feel too bad my first pizza burst into smoke and flame instantaneously resulting in a black crisp flat disk guess it was way too hot
Les likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Mex - get your hearth to 750 - 800 deg. You should see a well cooked pizza in 90 to 180 seconds max. You mentioned the floor was 650 - 700, that should have worked. Do you have a live fire? It's easy to "scoot" the pie closer to the flame and get the brown you want, very easy to get the black you don't. Always have a live fire for pizza, then its just a matter of learning the ways of your oven.
Right now, I'm having a hard time getting my oven that hot. After three hours, I saw around 700

Read a good tip on another site tonight about when to tell if crust was done.
Lift half the pizza up with the peel and see how much the other side droops. As the crust gets done, won't sag that much
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: First Pizza was a disaster

Don't know your problem as my oven is well and truly up to temp in 1 1/2 hours, my infra red thermometer max's out at 500˚C and the pizzas are done in 1 minute!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Peasant

I think part of my heating problem is my chimney. The temp. On the outside of my chimney bricks is 350 degrees and I notice a lot of heat going up in the air.. I'm having a metal extension duct being built to extend my chimney another 4 feet in the air and a damper is being installed. Hope this helps.
My friends WFO has no chimney and his oven gets to 900 degrees in under two hours
Attached Thumbnails
First Pizza was a disaster-image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 AM
Master Builder

I hope you get it sorted. If it is built to specs then looking for technical remedies is the caper. One positive is that it is all up from here. We all had a few scarey pizzas, truth be known.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Journeyman

My first pizza (attempt) ended up with my dough stuck on the peel and all my toppings and sauce in the ashes in the back of the oven. I have since improved my process.
Greenman likes this.