Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Laborer

Default Enlosure adjacent to house Help !

I am planning on a build where my enclosure almost touches the corner of our house. It will be a corner build jutting out from our pool patio and will be straddled by our screen enclosure almost like Bandrasco's build, I guess he's in Tampa.

What I'm really looking for are photo's of build's in close proximity to a house. I know when I go for my permit, for one thing, my town doesn't even have a category to put this under and because of wood and fire I know it will be reviewed by the fire chief. So, I'll have to put a package together with information, photo's sketches and plans to get an approval. I dont' expect problems but I will anticipate them. My house is block, my soffits are concrete, my roof and those around me are conrete or barrel tile, but you never know.... that's why i want to put together a good package for review.

I may have to convince them it's safer than a chimnea or open fire pit that they sell at home depot.

Any photo's or advice would be great.
Thanks, Bob

Last edited by pzachef; 07-09-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Enlosure adjacent to house Help !

I think code is that your chimney needs to be 2 feet higher than any roof withing 10 feet. So if you have it within 10 feet of the house, it should be 2 feet higher than the roof...That is a lot of chimney.

Drake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 AM

When the oven is connected to the house, it has to follow the code for masonry fireplaces. You can find the current code on rumford.com

The main thing is clearance to combustibles, and having your chimney 2 feet above anything within 10 feet.

My oven, linked below, was built into my workshop, in combination with an internal fireplace. As Drake says, that's a lot of chimney, and if you build a traditional masonry flue tile lined chimney it's a lot of work. Also, if it's part of the house it has to have proper below grade footings. You may not have a frost line in florida, but you still need footings.

Good luck with the building department. Keep stressing the "masonry fireplace" angle. They're used to those.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The good news of having a tall chimney is you will draft good and won't have the smoke problems some people have with short chimneys. But it will mean more work and weight to support!

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Master Builder

Also, I would suggest running what you are planning past your insurance agent. Then, in the unlikely event of something happening they cannnot then feign something on the order of "If you had asked us we would have told you.....and therefore voids coverage."

Bests,
Wiley
Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Laborer

All good opinions and info to hear please keep it comming.
It's appreciated and respected.

Bob
Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Serf

Are you sure you even need a permit? some fire codes don't actually apply to single family homes. the chiefs always want to regulate beyond the limits of their control so if you ask they will of course tell you what to do, but maybe you should first find out if in truth you need their permission. In general, if their code does not cover a use, you can proceed. this just happened to me here in the "heck of a lot more regulated than Florida" midwest, so I'm not making this up
Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Apprentice

Maybe you have a chimney in your house you could tie-in to? I put up my oven close to the main building, but chose to erect the chimney on the side. The code I am using allow me to build the chimney such that its centre exit is 10 ft away from any other ignitable structures.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Laborer

Thanks Tom and Karl,

Tom I'm kind of thinking the same thing. When I called the town they don't even have a category or classification to put this under. I got the what is it question. Maybe I will just go ahead, not sure right now though. I'm still laying my oven out in 3d on my computer. The opening arch transition was something I needed to see as I'm doing my VIRTUAL build first.

Thanks again to everyone, comments and opinions are always respected and appreciated, Bob
Old 06-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The only code I had to deal with in my area was the above mentioned (by dmun) national fire code. Pool screen enclosures ARE included as a scructure in my area, so I set my oven exactly at the 10' mark. The local building dept asked if my scructure (oven) would be over 130 sq ft, I told them no and also mention no running water or electricity.....he said go for it, it sounds like an outdoor BBQ, referred to the fire chief who confirmed the chimney aspect.....so no codes or inspections here. I was really surprised by this because FL is as regulated and code happy as anywhere now, as a home owner there are only a few things that can be done leagally without a permit (change a light bulb, change a light fixture, paint (better get HOA approval for that) and flushing my toilet are about the only things allowed without a permit. OH, mowing my lawn also does not......that about it.
I do remember a builder a couple of yrs ago that had several code issues to deal with in Miami/Dade county in Miami. they had to inspect each level -base slabe, support side wall tie in to the slab, the hearth slab, finially the dome. Apparently every thing down there requires a permit. right now I am flagrantly putting up a fence without a permit,I think it will go unnoticed, otherwise I AM LOOKINg at a $500 for each day work goes on without a permit.
Just make an extra couple of calls and you should know for certain,and if not, build it anyway and beg for forgiveness if caught.

RT