Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Serf

Default Dough - Bench proof or right into the fridge?

I plan on doing at 65% water dough. I have read 100000 different ways to proof. I live in seattle and LOVE Tutta Bella pizza and thats what i want to make. So if you know how they do let me know
I was thinking to make the dough with cool water (70 degrees), Ball it then rest it at room temp 4 hours then in the fridge overnight
the dough recipe has fresh yeast and very little of it

or do you
Make the dough, proof it for a few hours THEN ball it and right into the fridge. meaning don't let the dough balls rise anymore at room temp. fridge for 24 to 48 hours

any help will do!!
thanks
Newibe Brad
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Dough - Bench proof or right into the fridge?

This book has proven invaluable for home pizza in a standard oven. Many dough and sauce recipes including lots of pizza recipes as well.

Amazon.com: Pizza: More than 60 Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pizza (9780811845540): Diane Morgan, Tony Gemignani, Scott Peterson: Books
Bradley likes this.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You should let it double once before balling and 'fridging to get the action started. I have had the best luck with an hour and then into the cold.
Bradley likes this.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Bradley!

Four hours is almost certainly too long. But it depends on how much yeast you add to the mix. Use instant yeast. And I would start shorter - I don't personally feel it should double - once it is showing life (growing) commercial yeast will grow in the refrigerator pretty well. But... we all have different combos that work for "us".

WRT Balling the dough, I like to ball bread flour based doughs and 00 shortly after mixing - say a half hour to hour for both of those benefit from extended relaxation IMO. AP doughs can be balled after retarding with no problem.

I like to remove my dough from the fridge at about 2 hours before use. The first will typically be a bit underproofed at 2 hours and a couple of hours later they will be a bit over. But well within pizza tolerance!

Good luck!
Jay
seattlecaveman and Bradley like this.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Serf

thanks for the info Jay!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Serf

SO it looks like for my 65% water. I will mix water (about 80 degrees) and yeast let sit for a minute add the flour mix 2 min then rest for 20 min add salt mix 10 more min all on low. proof until double about 90 min. ball. in fridge overnight. pull out 1 hour before needed. make pizza. eat.
yes no maybe?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your basic plan sounds reasonable Bradley. It should make a very reasonable first dough that you can easily correct/improve the next batch if need be. Go for it! Biggest question is what % yeast will work best on your schedule (% of flour weight). .2 to .3 % instant is probably about right but... Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Dough - Bench proof or right into the fridge?

The PBS series called _America's Test Kitchen_ had a show featuring New York Style Pizza.

Their dough recipe included:
  • 16.5 oz bread dough,
  • 1 t Sugar,
  • 1/2 t instant yeast,
  • 1 1/2 cups ice water,
  • 1 1/2 T table salt and
  • 1 T oil.....
  • Mix in Food processor for 10 seconds, then autolyse for 10minutes, followed by another 30-60 seconds in Food processor and straight to the refrigerator for at least 24 hours!
The idea of using ice cold water and skipping the ferment at room temperature for immediate refrigeration and a long cold ferment is to have smaller bubbles in the crust and more flavor for a thin, crisp crust.

Any comments?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dough - Bench proof or right into the fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I've finally worked it out........
If you take flour, water, yeast, salt, and sugar and oil if you feel like it, and mix it all together and wait a while, it'll turn into dough, and I'm starting to think it won't matter what else you do to it.
So many ways of mixing it together, and they all work!!!!!!!!
I know that sounds right....But, I have personally disproved the "It'll turn into (good) dough," part many times.

I'm looking for a thin dough that tastes good, is crispy, with a crust strong enough to hold the toppings and not slump too much. I've stumbled on to good tasting dough, crispy dough, and strong crust....but never at the same time. Haven't made all the mistakes one can make yet, but, I'm working on it.

Jay.....what do you think of skipping the room temperature rise?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 04-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The following is my process for making pizza dough.

Consistency seems to be the key and in that regard I try to maintain exact measurements both in weight and temperature.

My recipe consists of as follows.

800 g unbleached unbrominated 13% protein bread flour. I am using "Dakota Maid Premium Bread Flour" from North Dakota Mill

480 g water

12 g salt (1.5 teaspoons)

1.5 teaspoons active dry yeast

56 g extra-virgin olive oil (1 Tablespoon)

I measure the temperature of the flour and adjust the water temperature to achieve 80F after mixing.

The mixer will generate some heat. The last time I made dough the kitchen was 68F the dough was 67F and I used 75F water to get 80F after mixing.

The temperature of your room and mixing bowl and flour, all combine to make the final dough temperature.

Using a dough hook in the mixer combine the flour salt and yeast in the mixing bowl and turn on for 1 min. to blend the ingredients

With the bread mixer still on add the warm water slowly to the bowl, mixing for 2 min. Then add the olive oil. the oil is added last to prevent coating the flour and yeast grains with oil prior to hydration.

Mix for another 8 min. and remove dough from bowl. 10 minuite total wet mixing time.

Divide into 7 approximately 190 g balls. I use this size for 12 inch Pizzas.

Put each ball into a lightly oiled 1 quart Ziploc bag and "Right into the Fridge" refrigerate for 48 hours (my refrigerator is 40F) punching down one time between 12 and 24 hours.

The dough will approximately double during the 48 hour cold ferment.

Remove bags from refrigerator approximately 1.5 - 2 hours before you're ready to use them.

I use a Bosch mixer. Pictured with the flour below.

The amount of yeast you use will affect the rise and consumption of the sugars in the flour and or mix if you have added sugar. Very little yeast will take longer to digest the sugars and more yeast will take less time to digest. Longer rise will develop better flavor up to a point... over proofing will degrade dough at about 72 hours - your mileage may vary.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Dough - Bench proof or right into the fridge?-mixer_flour.jpg   Dough - Bench proof or right into the fridge?-photo-5.jpg  
seattlecaveman and dvm like this.

Last edited by mrchipster; 04-21-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added photo and some other comments