Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Apprentice

Default daves build

Gday all,
I have just poured 2nd slab and while I am waiting for that to cure I was going to brick up the stand.Having never done this before, should I use a string line? or just go off the blocks? any tips or suggestions would be most welcome
Attached Thumbnails
daves build-2nd-slab.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: daves build

Dave,
now you've got me confused!

Quote:
while I am waiting for that to cure I was going to brick up the stand
From the picture provided, it looks like you have already done the stand, now you need to put in your insulation layer(s) and then either your heart (if you are going to sit your dome on that) or your soldier course and then put your hearth in it before you close your dome.
What stand were you referring to?

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Default Re: daves build

Quote:
I have just poured 2nd slab and while I am waiting for that to cure I was going to brick up the stand.Having never done this before, should I use a string line? or just go off the blocks?
You want to lay up face bricks on the exterior of the stand? There's no reason why you can't just use the stand as your guide. It looks like your stand protrudes enough for the brick facing to have a good footing.

If you haven't laid brick before, you may want to look into the bricky tool. I used it, and I recommend it. It makes bad bricklayers good, and good ones fast.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Apprentice

thx dmun ,
I thought that I could use the stand wall as a guide, its not perfectly str8 but it will do the job I think. I appreciate the feedback.
Cheers
Dave
Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Apprentice

sry nissan I meant I am going to put normal reds around the stand before starting on the dome. I was just going to let the 2nd slab really set before loading it up as I would be fairly put out if it cracked(not that it would) because I was impatient.
cheers
Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Use a plumbob or level to bring down each upper corner to the foundation. mark that point as the inner face of your brick veneer. If the stand is out of plumb, this will ensure that the veneer will meet the top of the base and can be built plumb while doing so.

To lay it, use your level vertically, horizontally and across the face to build the corners out, then use a string between the corners to lay the filler brick.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Apprentice

thx tscar
I will certainly do that, all good info, thankyou.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Apprentice

thanks guys for your help I seem to be struggling through it, this is the first time I have ever laid any bricks! managed to get a few courses done today, even getting into the lingo! its not perfect but I am moving forward, which is the main thing.
Attached Thumbnails
daves build-dscn2335.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Apprentice

Ok I just saw it myself yes that corner brick is upside down! getting a bit weary by the end of the day, 3 kids , wife just had knee reconstruction!
cheers
dave
Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Apprentice

update, got another course of bricks done. and started on dome
Attached Thumbnails
daves build-dscn2336.jpg   daves build-dscn2339.jpg   daves build-dscn2337.jpg