Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Peasant

Default Cutting concrete block

I've got my stand all layed out and ready to pour the concrete inside the blocks but I need to get the blocks to lay flat after installing the angle iron. What is the easiest way (other than a wet diamond blade) to cut out for the angle iron so the blocks will lay flat?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Cutting concrete block

Angle grinder and a masonary blade.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan94550 View Post
I've got my stand all layed out and ready to pour the concrete inside the blocks but I need to get the blocks to lay flat after installing the angle iron. What is the easiest way (other than a wet diamond blade) to cut out for the angle iron so the blocks will lay flat?
My SkilSaw and a masonry blade made the job very easy.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting concrete block-img_1393.jpg   Cutting concrete block-img_1395.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Master Builder

But the easiest way is to set the angle iron outside the blocks and let your mortar make up the 3-5mm difference!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maver View Post
But the easiest way is to set the angle iron outside the blocks and let your mortar make up the 3-5mm difference!
I'll one-up you for an even easier route. Just sit the blocks on the angle iron and don't worry about any grooves or mortar thickness. Just let the blocks stick up a few millimeters.

When you put the forms on the block stand for the hearth, make sure they are level (the blocks on the angle iron will stick up just a bit higher) and pour the hearth. No one will ever know. Shouldn't be any structural issues.

That's how I'd do it if I had to do it again.

Ken

Updated!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Peasant

Thanks guys. I tried the skill saw yesterday and the old blade I had on there broke and I'm having a hell of a time trying to take off what is remaining on the shank. The blade I had on my angle grinder was for metal. I will go out and buy some new blades and continue.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maver View Post
Unfortunately I am going the dry fit route so there isn't any mortar gap to make up the difference.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Home Depot has started carrying good and cheap diamond blades for cutting brick, block and stone. They are a lot faster and easier than the old fashioned black masonry blades -- and not that much more expensive. They work really well at first when they are still sharp, so cutting block is a breeze.
James

Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
so cutting block is a breeze.
Or you could just leave them out in the breeze .

No, really, get the diamond blade for the angle grinder. It's worth the money, and you'll use it a lot. And buy a good face mask while you're there. Big Dust Alert.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Serf

What size Angle Grinder you guys using...I bought a 4 inch and couldn't do much with it.

Tony