Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Peasant

Default Curing Cracks

So, I guess my second fire went a bit too hot (or the fire went too high because it touched the top of the dome). I wound up getting those 1/32" cracks around the dome in various places. I can't see them from the inside. So far I assume it will be OK once I cover with blanket.

My question is, suppose I can see a crack from the inside. What would I do in that case? Are the cracks a major issue, or does it just mean that insulation will be even more important?

Thanks!
-jared
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Curing Cracks

It's a rare oven that doesn't have hairline cracks. The oven moves everytime it heats up, and cools down, and masonry is inherently brittle. The good news is that we've never heard of a pompeii style oven that collapsed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
It's a rare oven that doesn't have hairline cracks. The oven moves everytime it heats up, and cools down, and masonry is inherently brittle. The good news is that we've never heard of a pompeii style oven that collapsed.
That's good. I can't see any cracks inside the oven still, but the crack ended up going around the oven in a complete circle (although not all on the same course). That actually had me pretty concerned. I will look close tomorrow when I can stick my head back in. I thought I saw steam (or smoke) coming out of one, but it is not very wide so I don't think it is from the inside of the oven... if that even makes sense.

Nothing is movable though. Maybe cracks are not all that bad! That's what I am going to tell myself all night.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jared,

You probably saw steam coming out the cracks. Your oven is still wet from construction (and will be for a few more fires).

I also have those hairline cracks that circle the entire dome. They don't cause any problems.

Take a picture of your cracks and post it. We all love comparing our cracks and consoling one another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Serf

A bit technical.
Designer Bacteria Can Heal Cracks in Concrete Buildings | LiveScience

close any opening ads.
Carl
Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionparty View Post
Wow. I wonder if they have a high-heat refractory version of the little buggers?

Updated!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Serf

Self-Destructing Bacteria Heals Cracked Concrete : TreeHugger

Carl