Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Laborer

Default Curing the concrete foundations

Hi Folks,

Today I laid the foundations for my oven. In the plans, it says that if you keep it damp while it cures it will make it stronger. This is probably a silly question, but, how do you keep it damp? Just by spraying a little water on it with the hose?

Cheers Ross
Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Curing the concrete foundations

yep. u can also cover it with burlap or a fabric that you keep moist. by doing this you are not adding water but keeping the concrete from drying to fast
Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Serf

Wink Re: Curing the concrete foundations

Ross- I agree with Tiofsi. Covering concrete with plastic or burlap will hold the water in and allow the concrete to cure (its a hydration reaction). Keeping prouct moist up to 30 days is best. However, once the concrete sets, especially if it looks dry because you didn't cover it initially, it is fine to splash on some water & then cover. Once the concrete is set and curing, the subsequent splashing on of mininmal water for wetting down is not going to leach out sufficient cement to threaten the strenght.

Similarly, later on when you lay your fire bricks it is recomended that you wet your bricks before applying the fire mortar so the joint does not dry too quickly....When you are done laying the fire brick, wipe off excess splash with a large wet tile sponge & cover project with plastic to allow a slower moisture rich cure of the mortar. Glosta
Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Keep it wet continuously. If it drys out before it cures, it will never reach full strength even if you re - wet it.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Laborer

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help. I've been spraying water on it, but when i got up this morning it had dried out. I 're-wetted' it this morning. How long do i keep it wet for?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:03 AM

One week. Concrete continues to hydrate and strengthen over the course of the first month, but it's near it's full strength in one week.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a chart of strength over time for concrete that is allowed to cure properly (lots of water available continuously);
Attached Thumbnails
Curing the concrete foundations-concrete.gif  
Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Laborer

Nice one. Thanks for all the advice and help. Will keep it wet for the week before i start building.

Cheers guys
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Serf

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.