Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Serf

Default Curing

I recently purchased and received the Andiamo 70 oven. It was built in California and shipped fully assembled to my home in Pennsylvania. All of the instructions I have read say that you should let the oven "sit" for a week before you even begin the curing process. I am sure this oven was built several weeks ago and sat somewhere for a week after it was built and shipped across county. Would I need to let it sit yet another week before I start the curing process ?? Thanks. New to all this and want to get started.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Curing

In a word, yes. Before choosing to countermand the curing instructions, call fornobravo and get some expert guidance.

I can understand the desire to put that magnificent oven to use ASAP, but, in the scheme of the Cosmos, the seven day delay is not that long

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Serf

Default Re: Curing

I too will start the curing process in a bout a week following the directions from Bravo. What I would like to know is what is used to create the 1st fire (wood, paper?) in order to obtain 300 degrees and what method is used to maintain that fire (I guess small pieces of wood but just want to be sure)

Thanks for any input:
Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Serf

I contacted Forno Bravo regarding the shipping and curing process. They told me it was ready for curing since I had it shipped and it "sat" for at least 7 days......so I started the process...am in my 5th day....started with a bit of wood (small pieces)...kept it about 300 for two days....then increased.....am up to about 500 now.....still lots of water coming out of it...... am outside next to the oven and keep checking and putting on the wood as needed.....to maintain temperature....seems to be okay.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is plenty of info on the curing thread (oven management,firing your oven) if you have time to read it all.

Last edited by david s; 04-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 AM
Serf

So the oven is finished and will start curing next week. I do have a quesiton though, is the door supposed to fit perfectly? There are small gaps on either side....
Attached Thumbnails
Curing-oven2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Serf

furthermore, I see all these ovens eclosed in large amounts of brick. Is that necessary? Will my oven still accomplish my cooking goals?....pizza, breads, roasts etc.....