Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Peasant

Default Crust issue

Newbie here...using my indoor 30" electric oven to cook pizzas on a stone at 500F (I think).

I'm getting an edible result, but would like to have a browner, crispier crust in the center of the pie. The edges and the center ingredients are cooking nicely, browning fine...but that bottom needs help.

Ingredients were a high protein flour, an instant yeast, a decent EVO, San Marzano tomatoes. Dough was mixed in KitchenAid mixer, gave it about an hour or two to rise.

I'm really inexperienced...so no question or suggestion is too basic.

Thanks folks!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Crust issue

HI Bob,
The only thing I can think of is getting your pizza stone hotter (longer, more even and hotter temp without getting the top oven coils any hotter since your pizza toppings are fine).

Also, do you think you could perhaps put thinner sauce and less topping right in the middle?

You know, if you look at the main Forum Page and scroll down, there is a section that says "BRICK OVEN COOKING" then a sub-section of Pizza Stone Baking that would be a better place to possibly have some more experienced stone-bakers look at your question. Start a thread there and copy your question and I bet you'll get some better answers than mine.

Happy cooking, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Peasant

Thanks Dino....I will try a higher temp (not sure if the oven will allow it....but I can try). Also moved my thread to the section you recommended.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is all pretty simple...if the bottom is not brown the stone is too cold or the time too short. If the top is not brown the dome/oven temp is too low or the time too short. If both are not brown add time. If one is right and the other wrong - adjust the temp of the stone by longer heating or the oven by higher temp up to its limit. At some point you simply have to add baking time!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Apprentice

I agree with Texassourdough, I too bake pizza in my oven on a stone (until I complete my WFO). One of the first mistakes I made was paying to much attention to the oven temp reading. What I do now is preheat the oven for at least 45min - 1 hour and this seems to get the stone hot enough.

Gary