Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Serf

Question Cracks!

Just finished my 36" "igloo", waited ~2 weeks, maintained a small fire for ~1/2 day. The next day, ran a little bigger fire 4-500 degrees or so, and noticed some cracking. This theme continued, more fires, more cracks. I think it may be done cracking now, but I'm a bit worried about lighting pizza-able fire. My questions are: 1. Is there anything I can/should do about the cracks? 2. What precautions, if any, should I take when using it this winter (I'm in MN, where -20 isn't unusual). Please advise, -Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cracks!

I looks like you dried it out too quickly 1 day to any high temp is way too soon, you should have built progressively bigger and bigger fires over weeks, not days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Apprentice

There are good threads on how to cure your oven. Like Oz said, you should have built a small fire on day one then progressively build hotter fires over the next seven days to help drive out moisture.

As for the cold weather startups, I wouldn't know about that since I live in south FL, but it seems to reason, and I have also read, that you should start with a small fire to warm up the brick and mortar as to not shock them.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pictures would help, but cracks are normal. I fire mine up in the winter without special consideration, but it is usually 20-30 deg...No way I am firing it if it is below zero...I am inside man! If you were really worried about it in winter, you could start with a small fire, or put a lamp out in it the night before and close the door on it...

Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Laborer

I am about 4-5 months into cooking in my oven and I notice a lot of hairline cracks in the mortar joints inside the oven. From everything I have read on the forum this is going to happen in most ovens and is not a major issue. If your bricks are cracking that is a problem.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Apprentice

My first heat was a trouble light with a 100 watt bulb for 24 hours.. and then a couple of times with a can of sterno.. I'm in Michigan, but agree with DrakeRemoray.. there's no way I'll be running outside to do pizza's when its zero
Old 10-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"If your bricks are cracking that is a problem."

Actually, until the bricks start dropping onto the top of your pizza it is not a problem.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Serf

-haven't noticed the cracks since I insulated, and built the enclosure to hide them (I read a boatload of posts after my paranoid post, and went with the guy who more or less said "bleep-it, and get to cooking!) . I've fired it to ~1K F, nothing has fallen, and have cooked a couple of chicken breasts, and a phenomenal roast (last night), but so far, only 2 pizzas! -I think that Mrsdj might be finally coming on board with this concept. I plan on doing Thanksgiving turkey in it.

-thanks for the feedback -I'll be posting my story soon.