Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Journeyman

Default Combining fire bricks

Hello All,

This question is directed towards our experienced members who might be familiar with this issue. I have two chains started on oven #2 and too few of the same kind of bricks to complete another chain. I have enough different fire bricks, of the same dimensions, to complete the oven (36" Pompeii). I am sure the fire bricks are from different manufacturers and they are different colors too. Is there a problem combining different "medium" fire bricks to complete my oven? The question is more about the thermal expansion from the different bricks and the possibility of cracks developing in the joints.

My guess would be that it is ok for our backyard oven purposes. As a positive note, it would give me the opportunity to stagger the colors for an interesting effect.

I am using dry refractory mortar to place the bricks and poor mans mortar to fill the V voids. So far, the oven is going together well and no problems except for this question about using different bricks.

Outdoor temps are high 70's, the birds are chirping and there is plenty of beer in the 'fridge. Arizona is great this time of year.

Cheers,

Pizzanut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Combining fire bricks

I think the thermal expansion on the bricks would be nearly identical. I don't think you will have a problem.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Combining fire bricks

Thanks for your reply Dave.

I'm about 40% done with the brick dome construction and decided to continue with the poor man's mortar by itself. It is sticky and seems to be no problem even in our very dry air when mixed in small batches. Today I will start planning the entry and cutting a few bricks to give me an idea how the arch (or not) will look. The simplicity of the angle iron support is interesting and practical.

Cheers,