Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Serf

Default Cleaning Dome Mortar

I am building my first oven and would like to know how am I going to clean mortar from the inside of my dome if I use a foam board form? I am sure that the mortar is going to be quite hard before I can clean it. Also how wide can the mortar joints be if I use the Forno Bravo mortar?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Serf

Default Re: Cleaning Dome Mortar

you could try Sure-Klean or some of that sort read the directions before that though good luck
Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Serf

Dent, I appreciate the help from down under. I am more concerned about the mortar that will surely collect on the inside of the dome . Since I am going to use a foam board mold, I will not be able to remove the excess mortar as the bricks are laid. How do people that use molds of any type clean the excess hardened mortar from the inside of the dome? I would like to use a mold as I am obviously not a mason. I made my living in the engineering world. I did the drawings. Getting a picture?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappap View Post
Dent, I appreciate the help from down under. I am more concerned about the mortar that will surely collect on the inside of the dome . Since I am going to use a foam board mold, I will not be able to remove the excess mortar as the bricks are laid. How do people that use molds of any type clean the excess hardened mortar from the inside of the dome? I would like to use a mold as I am obviously not a mason. I made my living in the engineering world. I did the drawings. Getting a picture?
Why not use an indspensable tool that way you can clean the inside as you go?

chip
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or a simple vane. You do need to clean as you go or you will be spending a lot of time with a grinder and acid. Keep the gap to a minimum. That requires cuts, some have choose not to do so and their ovens work just as well. It's just a matter of preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I am more concerned about the mortar that will surely collect on the inside of the dome ."

This is just an aesthetic issue. Knock the big chunks off and leave it at that.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Cleaning Dome Mortar

Hi
I used a plywood dome guide... was mindful of the excess mortar and was still able to wipe most blobs as I went. When finally burnt out (the Fun bit) I found only a few blobs here and there....which were easily knock off
Trust me after the first pizza you will no worry

Regards Dave
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didnt bother at all, there are still some dags and lumps hanging off the ceiling of the oven, most feel off when it got hot for the first time.

I just cant see the point of scrubbing out an oven?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Serf

you can try muriatic acid, but you have to be careful, it etches
Old 08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've crawled into my oven once....its not for the fainthearted......but to go in with acid now that scares the "Bejesus" outa me

Regards Dave