Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Serf

Default Cleaning the baseplate

Hello,

After 2 month construction period, this Fryday i will make my first Pizza
How can i abolish the ash on the baseplate to put my pizza on it ?

With:

- a wet brush
- a wet cloth
- a brass brush
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cleaning the baseplate

You could use a damp cloth (note DAMP, not WET) but it will knock the hearth temp down a bit which is probably not a big deal but....

The norm is to use a brass brush.

I use a rake to move clear the heath cooking area of the larger stuff and the brass brush to chase most of the ash off the hearth. A little ash won't hurt anything.

Look forward to hearing about your pizzas!
Jay
Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 AM
Master Builder

When I first got my oven I was certainly afraid of the Ashes.
I'd use a scraper, wire brush, and then put a damp cloth on my peel and swish it around. Ended up with some really dirty cloths.

After some good natured ribbing, I used the scraper and brush only (short quick strokes) and the floor of the oven certainly looked clean. Threw a pie on there not knowing what to expect and when we pulled it out the bottom of the pie looked no different than the ones where we used the damp cloth.

So now, we skip the cloth. I may blow on the floor a bit to clear any ash near the entry (one of those copper pipes would come in handy here, too).

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use the Sweep & Blow method using Forno Bravo's brass brush.

Updated!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

An old garden hoe will serve well for pushing the ashes to the back. (I'm one of the ones that pushes to the back rather than to the side.)

Be careful with iron or steel tools. The hearth bricks can be scored or chipped if you are too brutal.