Old 03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Serf

Default Chimney top under pergola structure?

In preparation of my upcoming Casa2G build, I measured the total height of the oven with chimney cap and it will be close to the edge of an existing redwood lattice pergola. The top is totally open so smoke won't be a problem at all. I'm concerned about heat venting the top of the chimney.

Should I,
a) Not worry
b) Extend the chimney above the pergola
c) Shorten the chimney from the 24" length
d) Move the oven location

Cheers,

Ron
Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Chimney top under pergola structure?

Ron,
I would (a) once I did (b)!
Whatever you do, get the heat and smoke above all flammable surfaces before you have soot, heat stains or at worst a charred lattice pergola.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chimney top under pergola structure?

Heat exiting your chimney will be 1000F+. I agree with Neill.

Updated!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chimney top under pergola structure?

Don't forget national fire code - a chimney must be 2 ft taller than any structure within 10 ft.

RT
Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Chimney top under pergola structure?

Let me add to my response Ron, if your chimney is going through the roof/covering (or even close to the flammable materials in your pergola),
it must be protected through a heat shield and/or insulation. I ran my flue through my colorbond steel roof which I sealed with a rubber seal around the chimney. Since it get rather hot, I put a larger diameter section over the flue, crimped the ends to the same diameter and fed a half inch of superwool blanket between the two. It still get warm to hot but the material is withstanding the heat and it is perfectly sealed, (even though there are a couple of water stains from the time before I solved the problem).

Cheers

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney top under pergola structure?-chimney-under-roof.jpg   Chimney top under pergola structure?-chimney-top.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway