Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Peasant

Default Cement fondue used as a mortar?

Hi Everyone,
I was recently told that refractory mortar is recommended for joints up to 3.5mm thick, because if laid any thicker that this it was prone to cracking.

On the other hand, I was told that the composition of Cement fondue was much more flexible and could be used for joints up to 50mm thick without crackimg.

Does anyone have any experience with using cement fondue purely a s a mortar with firebricks.

Does the advice I have been given match with your experience.

Fornoa
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Cement fondue used as a mortar?

I used ciment fondue as part of the 'home brew' recipe here on FB.com. I would not use it alone. This refractory mortar business is not simple.

The home brew recipe has two variations. Look at the free pompeii oven plans and read up on the recipes yourself (click the blue link in my signature for a thread containing a link to the free download of the plans.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.