Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Laurentius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Serf

Default Can't get the black off my ceiling

I just built a barrel style bread oven and I think I've finished curing it. I've read that the oven is ready to cook pizza when the black burns off. I can't get there.
Am I being timid with my wood?
I've tried pizza anyway and the edges burn but underneath it feels boiled and underdone.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Can't get the black off my ceiling

Sounds like the oven is still wet....keep on burning and it should get better. I hope you have insulation under your floor or it will really take a long time. 7-8 sticks of dry oak the size of your forearm take about a hour to make my dome white...try reading a little further down in the forum about heat management...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Serf

Thanks!
I'm going to keep burning.
I do have perlite under the base.
I'll keep looking into the forum.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorryanhayden View Post
I just built a barrel style bread oven and I think I've finished curing it. I've read that the oven is ready to cook pizza when the black burns off. I can't get there.
Am I being timid with my wood?
I've tried pizza anyway and the edges burn but underneath it feels boiled and underdone.
Hi Pastor,

I think its a degree of mindset. It sounds to me as if you're firing your oven as if you're going to Heaven, when you should be firing it as if you're living in Hell! If you really want to clear it, "Let it rip", you're be forgiven, when divinely hits the plates.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks!
I'm going to keep burning.
I do have perlite under the base.
I'll keep looking into the forum.
When you say perlite under the base do you mean under your oven floor or under the structural support fo the oven?

It should be top to bottom..

Inside of oven
Oven floor
Insulating layer
Structural support
Ground
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Serf

Thanks for the help guys.
I fired it up full bore (at least with the wood that I had handy) today and got the back of the oven white. I think if I wait a little longer to push back my wood I should be able to get the whole thing white next time.
Chip - My oven is set up as you recommended, with a perlite insulating layer underneath the oven floor and above the base.
Laurentius - your post made me laugh out loud, and made me a little bolder in firing the oven. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.
I fired it up full bore (at least with the wood that I had handy) today and got the back of the oven white. I think if I wait a little longer to push back my wood I should be able to get the whole thing white next time.
Chip - My oven is set up as you recommended, with a perlite insulating layer underneath the oven floor and above the base.
Laurentius - your post made me laugh out loud, and made me a little bolder in firing the oven. Thanks.
Sounds like your insulation is fine but you still are not burning hot or long enough to get the whole oven white, it is possible you have some moisture still lurking and the wood usage and heat up will continue to improve with repeated use. High density dry wood is a critical condition for a hot fire, pine, and other soft woods will not get you to the place you want to go.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Peasant

mate I'm building a barrel shape one too, any chance for some photos of yours? I encountered some issues with mine and could use other's designs. BTW where did you lace your chimney? outside or inside (behind or in front the door that is)?

When I used to get black ceilings on the oven at my work place, I always got rid of it by blazing the shit out of it.. just chuck more logs inside it won't explode on ya