Old 07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Journeyman

Default Can you spot the mistake?

O.k. after finishing up my 3rd course yesterday, I saw a small problem- not so much in function, but in asthetics. I now realize that the hip bone is connected to the leg bone, the log bone is connected to the knee bone etc etc. If your hip is crooked, your feet aren't going to work so well.

Take a look at the attached pic, paying special attention to the place where the soldier course meets the arch towers. See the problem? Not the best pic, but you should be able to spot it.

I'll be the first to admit that going into this project I knew I'd never be able to get it absolutly perfect on my first attempt at masonry. Plus I have this incredible pressure to finish it now...so rather than do a whole lot of exact measuring- I've been doing a whole lot of eyeballing. I plan to build a gable house around everything, so only the inside of the dome needs to be presentable.

If you didn't spot the mistake, here it is. When I layed out the soldier course, the first thing I did was put the arch towers exactly where I wanted them, with the right opening width. As I dry fit the soldier course around and came to the point where it joins the tower, rather than cutting the final soldier course brick to fit, I cut the tower bricks. Seemed fine at the time. Now that I'm on my 3rd course, the bricks are starting to meet up with the arch- and they're not even. One side is dipping into the view from the arch opening. Guess I'll fix that with with a grinder. Anyway, shouldn't be a problem with function- but a good lesson for the other novices out there to avoid that and have a cleaner joint when the course meets the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you spot the mistake?-dsc01366.jpg  

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Can you spot the mistake?

I noticed the different height of the soldier bricks either side of your oven entrance.
Look, at the end of the day, it won't affect the 'cookability' of the oven at all.
If that is the only mistake, then take it as a blessing as no oven is 'perfect' otherwise we would not be able to make improvements!
Looks like you are well organised and doing a fine job.
Keep up the good work.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Can you spot the mistake?

Thanks...overall I'm happy with it. It is funny about the little things you notice as you go along. Can't tell you how many times I've said "If I did it again, I do this part different"

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Can you spot the mistake?

That's why an oven or in fact anything that we do or build is never perfect.
Just great feeling of what we achieve when we and our family and friends enjoy the fruits of our labours.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Apprentice

I'm not sure that it will be noticeable at all when you'll finish.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Master Builder

dang - who has the byline - hide your mistakes?