Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Serf

Default Building on a raised deck?

I would really like to build an oven, but want to have easy access to it by building it on the raised deck off my kitchen.
As I am new to this, can someone suggest what I would need to do to support the oven?
The deck is about 3ft off the ground, currently supported by wood posts.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Building on a raised deck?

Several months ago someone posted a very similar idea (I don't remember who it was). They planned on building a tall concrete block base right next to the deck so they would have deck access to the oven without stressing the deck. I haven't seen any progress pics or updates on this plan.

Your deck is only 3' high, so a base built next to it wouldn't be terribly tall. This is the way I would go. Another idea might be to remove the area of the deck where the oven will go and build the stand up from the ground; so the deck will wrap around the oven.

I over-engineered and built our 700 sqft deck and there is no way I would put an oven on it. The oven will be heavier than a hot tub.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your plans!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not an engineer, but I agree with not building on the existing deck. As Ken mentions, a completed oven weighs more than a full hot tub (and many people don't build their decks to withstand that weight, and then have structural problems). I calculated the complete weight of my oven (from ground to spark arrester at about 6500 lbs...more than my wife's car or my truck.
I too would build from the ground up; either next to the deck or with minor alterations to the deck, have it surround the front and 2 sides of the oven.
Building from the ground up will give you the support, and also an extra 3 ft of storage for wood or lawn/garden items.
One other point - a well constructed oven will last for centuries, a deck seems to need some sort of repair or refurbishment at least every 8-10 years at best. Why put an indestructable, extremely heavy, masonry structure on top of a wood structure that is exposed to the elements and will most certainly need repair many times in your lifetime.

RT
Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Serf

Smile Re: Building on a raised deck?

Thank you both for the response.
On reflection, I think it best to build to the side of the deck.
I plan to read up a bit more and start construction in the spring.

Lyle
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lemmott,

Because you're in Edmonton, don't forget to find out how deep your footings must be for frost. Here in rural Ontario, it's four feet. Yours might have to be deeper depending on the substrate you'll be building on.

Jim
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lem,
wish your build were sooner, I would really like to see it. I think you could have a really cool looking outdoor area. Can't remember seeing a raised height oven completed. I know I have seen a couple of proposed ovens for similar situations, but no finished pics that I can recall. Good luck and stay warm up there.