Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Serf

Question Building Code Approval and Engineering

Hi All,

I am a newbie to the forum, but I have just completed a double door 48" oven, and after the fact my building dept. is requesting engineering.

Has anyone has to address engineering before for an oven that is in the exterior wall of a house? Any advice? Specs? Calcs? Etc?

Thanks,
Andy
Hood River, OR
Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Building Code Approval and Engineering

If you are trying to get building approval after the fact, you are heading uphill. Generally speaking, if it is part of the house, you need a building permit sooner rather than later.

Here's how building code works. Building code is a collection of best practices, so you don't have to get structural engineering work done on routine jobs. In theory, anything that falls outside of the UBC needs to be run by a structural engineer, to protect all concerned. If done in advance, many building code officers can be convinced that a wood fired oven is a kitchen fireplace, and can be built under the existing code for masonry fireplaces. This is still worth a try.

The last time I had to hire a structural engineer on a project (to determine floor loads for a machine tool) it was MAJOR money. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Journeyman

[QUOTE=dmun;25956]

<snip>

If done in advance, many building code officers can be convinced that a wood fired oven is a kitchen fireplace, and can be built under the existing code for masonry fireplaces. This is still worth a try.

<snip>

In Oz, we have the ubiquitous barbeque, for which in many local government areas NO prior approval is needed!

In my case, I went to my council to ascertain their policy on BBQs, which in essence said that if it's no closer to a neighbour's fence than 3m and no higher than 1.8m, no approval is needed.

Hence, we've broiled many a juicy lamb chop in our WFO, a.k.a. a stone covered BBQ...

Cheers,

LMH
Old 03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Laborer

I would bet though in a suburban not a rural environment in Oz they would ask to see your engineering/working specs if it was made as a wall of the house.

--mr.jim
Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Journeyman

As part of the house, sure...
Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

az,
Bummer
The thought of going through engineering after the fact makes me a bit queesy. A couple of hundred bucks might cover the engineering, but if your oven isn't up to code - then what? Take it down?? Sad to see that this was your first (and likely last post). I'd love to hear how your tale turns out in the end.

-
Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

....I recently realised that I should have applied for planning permission for my oven. Well I knew it really, but I recently fully realised that I really really should have...

So maybe its just as well there aren't too many Swiss on this forum...

Luckily the oven is in a hidden corner, the neighbours on that side are all easy going, and we have a neat little law in Switzerland that says when something has been standing for ten years without anyone grumbling you're allowed to leave it there.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Serf

Red face Re: Building Code Approval and Engineering

Thanks Everyone,

The thing about this oven and the engineering, is that I pulled a permit (along w/ a 2900 Sq. ft. home. It is on my mechanical permit, It is on my plans, and now they want engineering. They saw everystage of the process from a 12" thick footing, to a way over built stem wall, 8" slab deck with #4 rebard grid every 6", tied to the footing. They have inspected the house and structure and mechanical multiple time. And after all of this ---- NOW they freak about the dome falling down.

My engineer now has the plan details, but I am confused. Haven't people been building these ovens for thousands of years? Has anyone actually seen evidence of one collapsing? I think it is all CYA (cover your a --!).

Does anyone have previous engineering for a dome? Maybe FornoBravo directly? I cannot be the first person to have crossed this bridge.

Thanks Andy

p.s. I will try to post photos soon.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 AM
Master Builder

Andy.....I suppose you can always get one of the planning boffins to become a convert on here...

OR you could invite one to "test the dome" - few good pizzas (and copius amounts of red wine)....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Andy,

That sounds pretty frustrating. This is definitely the first time I have ever heard anyone worry about the dome falling down -- that's pretty out there.

We don't have any engineering doc's on the Pompeii plans -- really, each one is different, and up to the technique of the builder. I think you should be able to talk him out of this one.

Good luck.
James