Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Laborer

Default The build goes on.

I am back building my oven. I have done the key stone and given the whole dome a thin 10mm coat of homebrew to make it more even before the ceramic blanks go on. I used a sand form for the final 5 layers. I got lazy and it seemed to be the easy way to go. Worked well enough, however the mortar is not as neat in the top layers as the rest.
When you look inside some of the mortar did not get all the way down and as smooth as the rest. Just in some places and you have to have your head in the dome to see it. I have no thoughts of it falling down. Seems very strong to me, just not as neat as the rest.
Is there any reason beside looks to crawl in and try to get some mortar into any gaps?
Is doing this going to cause this new mortar to fall into pizza later on?

I want to start some SMALL fires very soon (been a week since last mortaring was done and seems very dry) to get the thing cured well before wrapping the blanket on as I will be rendering the oven as soon as the ceramic blankets are in place to stop loose fibres being a problem.
If you read the MSDS for the blankets,, you'd be scared to use it. Iwill be going full asbestos type suit and masks when doing it !
If the blanket was not so cheap for me I might not have gone this way..
Has anyone had to tidy up the inside??
ROb
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Laborer

Default Re: The build goes on.

Well today was first fire day. just twiggs for a few minutes thismorning. t was nice to see a fire at last! I will do this for the rest of the week and might get insulation done this week end.

Last edited by robertjusher; 02-22-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Laborer

Another fire today, kept a small fire going for an hour of so. all looks good so far!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Rob
Hows the hand? Its got to be slowing you down a bit. With the blanket the stuff is great! really hold the heat in... 2in blanket is equal to 4 in pearlite they say...and you dont have all that trapped moisture to wait to dry out! And lets face it you'll only have to use it once....not like you doing it every day for a living. Tried pearlite cement myself the stuffs a bloody awefull ...every tried to trowel rice bubbles and milk

Regards Dave
Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Laborer

HI Dave
surgery went well , I hope this is the last of it! Thanks for asking !
The sewing came out on Monday, so gentley does it but hope to get the blanket done thie weekend. Has been hard seeing the oven and not being able to do much for the last fortnight!

Had the fire going a few hours today. Seems dry but I will keep going slowly for a bit longer.
Real keen to crank a fire up and cook something !
But don't want to crack my dodgy brickwork. As a bricking I make a good sparkie!
I will clear the decks and full PPE when using the ceramic blanket, the MSDS lists cancer as an exposure risk !!
Like asbestos I guess.
I brought a full roll to do the job and the top bloke at the shop had another with a foot or 2 used, he gave me that for free!!! Going to be cheaper then pearlite etc.

What brew did you make up for your render to finish the oven off?
I think that will be the hardest part as it has to be neat, no hiding the top layer!
Then the benchtops need to be tiled, finish bench render and pave/tile floor. Then enjoy.
Well till the next project, always something else in the works.
Rob
Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rob
Just used pre mix in bags wasn't worth getting a 1/3 mtre of sand at that point. Put "chook wire" over the insulation sort ta wrapped it around and cut out the entrance cut down the resulting cylinder to the dome and fold in. To tighten up any baggy bits grab the wire with a flat pr plyers and twist side ways it takes up the slack.
I have had a few cracks at the junction at the entrance and dome so as soon as I get a dry weekend I plan to go over this section using flexible tile cement as a render. A mate had real problems with cracking over his whole dome and used 50/50 mix with render with success.
Would also consider tiling up to the dome before rendering so you can render up to the tile to get a neat finish ...always hard cutting internal curves on tile.

Regards Dave
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your mate probably did the render before he dried the insulation layer properly, resulting in pressure build up and cracks. No matter, it's just a shell to keep out the weather.
Best to also cover it to keep in the moisture in the outer shell for a week to increase strength.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the tips guys.
I was thinking of tiling first then render. Jus need to sort out a tile...
And of course it is raining again and looks set to all week !
Rob
Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Listern to the news.... Heavy wheather warning for the SE for fri night .....rain all weekend....bummmer

Regards Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Laborer

HI
Just looked at the BOM. Should have built an Ark (with pizza oven of course).
O-well hand needs a rest a little longer I thinkanda long slow cure is better...
Rob