Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 AM
Serf

Default brick suitability

Can bricks left over from the refurbishment of a cremator be used for at least the floor or even the whole dome or will the rating be too high? The bricks are new (unused) and free to me but I'm concerned they are the wrong type ie rated for use over 1000 degrees Celcius? Plan B - can clay bricks with the holes through them be used for the construction of the dome or will they crack not being solid? Again I have access to several 100 at no cost to me. Thanks in advance for any reply. Be gentle, guys, am having information overload!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: brick suitability

What is the weight of the leftover brick. I supply Australia's largest cremator buider with Isolite B6 bricks, these are only suitable for under the base as they are insulating bricks, not suitable for your dome. The weight of the B6 is about 1kg vs 4kg for the real deal.
The bricks with the 3 holes are extruded wire cuts and are no good for the oven.

Last edited by Johnny the oven man; 02-16-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: brick suitability

Hi Daddyoh and welcome to the forum.
John has it summed up but you can use the older solid fired clay bricks or the later fired clay pavers provided they have been fired over 1000˚C.
With that said, bricks ain't always bricks, ie they vary immensely from city to city, country to country. So be careful, do your homework and test them carefully. If you smash them with a substantial sledge hammer, they should break into a few chunks but not break into a crumbly mess.
Good luck and get going with your build or look at a kit, Forno Bravo is now here in Australia!

Cheers.

Neill

PS where about in thris wonderful land do you call home?

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Serf

Thanks guys, the cremator bricks weigh about 5kg, so does this mean they ARE suitable for the base/floor but not the walls of the dome?
I am located in Willaston, SA
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyoh View Post
Thanks guys, the cremator bricks weigh about 5kg, so does this mean they ARE suitable for the base/floor but not the walls of the dome?
I am located in Willaston, SA
They should be fine for your floor and the dome.If they are 5kg each, they are fairly dense and most likely 45%Al203 ,which makes them super duty bricks. Should hold the heat very well, but may take a little longer to heat up
Good luck with the build..
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Serf

Thanks, just the nudge I need to get going. No excuses now. This forum is a great resource.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Serf

I have bricks for free that come from a furnace i am worried they will burn pizza ?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Journeyman

How can a brick burn your Pizza?????
You only heat the oven to 350c for the ideal temp, the brick really wont make a great difference as long it is of the dense [heavy ] type.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Refurbished crematorium bricks?!! Yuck, are you kidding?

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM

I've cremated a pizza or two