Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Serf

Question Brick Oven Insert?

I'm brand new, so please be kind. I love making pizza and artisan bread for my family. I use a pizza stone in my regular oven. Is there any way to get the "brick oven" or "wood fired" taste, using some sort of brick insert?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick Oven Insert?

A wood oven is really just a giant pizza stone. It has the capacity for much higher temperature than a normal domestic oven. I have heard you can improve a normal oven by using a pizza stone both on the bottom and top and cranking it up to max temp. for quite a while. For improved performance use 15 mm kiln shelves, they are much thicker than a pizza stone Expensive to run.

Last edited by david s; 02-20-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

About 4 years ago in CT, we were having a brutally cold winter, and I wasn't using my oven. I had just finished fabrication and installation of soapstone counters in my house, and I had some scraps that I used to cook pizza on. Well the stone stored heat very well, so much so that once all the opening and closing the oven door was done, the stored heat in the stone caused the safety lock on the oven to kick in...because temps were higher than 500*.

Stick with a regular pizza stone...build a wood fired oven if you want WFO taste!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I had some scraps that I used to cook pizza on. Well the stone stored heat very well, so much so that once all the opening and closing the oven door was done, the stored heat in the stone caused the safety lock on the oven to kick in...because temps were higher than 500*.
HA! That is funny, and also good to know! I'm feeling this WFO withdrawal now as this winter seems to just go on forever. Can't wait to get back out there!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I find that the technique that works best for me in the oven is to put the stone under the broiler for about 15 minutes with the convection on. I use a cordite (sp?) stone because it was given to me - but I read that 3/8" steel plate is supposed to be better than brick. I have a gas broiler and I can get the surface temp of the stone up to about 650. When I get ready to put the pizza in, I turn the oven to 500 and slide it in. I find I can get nice leopard spotting of the crust and a bit of char in ~5 mins. Not the same as the brick oven, but if I showed you a picture of the end product, you'd never guess it came out of a normal kitchen oven!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
About 4 years ago in CT, we were having a brutally cold winter, and I wasn't using my oven. I had just finished fabrication and installation of soapstone counters in my house, and I had some scraps that I used to cook pizza on. Well the stone stored heat very well, so much so that once all the opening and closing the oven door was done, the stored heat in the stone caused the safety lock on the oven to kick in...because temps were higher than 500*.

Stick with a regular pizza stone...build a wood fired oven if you want WFO taste!
In this forum the guy hacks his lock to use the high heat.
*Warning dont try this at home
"Hacking" Pyrolytic ovens to utilise high heat - Kitchen Consumer - eGullet Forums