Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Peasant

Default another hearth question

I have looked at alot of the builds here and one thing I notice is that not much time is spent on making sure the individual hearth bricks are flat with each other . Is this something that is not that important or is it just a boring but necessary step that does not make for exciting pictures Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: another hearth question

I assume you mean oven floor? I think people may spend a lot of time on it, but it's not such a sexy topic of conversation or photography. It's pretty easy to get them flat if you lay them on a sand/fireclay mix that has been grooved with a tile trowel, and tap them with a rubber mallet to set them. I found that its easier to do if the leveling mix is dry, vs. the recommendation to use it wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: another hearth question

Jim,

It is very important to get them even. If not, the peel WILL hang up on an edge. I spent a fair amount of time sanding the brick down with a belt sander.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.