Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado

I went camping last week and found these mushrooms. They are the "King Bolete" also known as Porcini and Cepes. It is acutally a little early to find the best specimens, but these looked pretty good. They are usually found later in the season and as a result these may not be the most flavorful.

First a few pictures of the mushrooms including one that was as big as my head (we did not pick that one...)

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-cimg0389.jpg   Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-hpim06822.jpg   Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-cimg0394.jpg   Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-cimg0407.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado

The next pics are sliced and ready for drying and then the finished product. I dried these in the oven the day after a pizza party when the door had been off for at least 17 hours. The dome temp was still around 200 F and the hearth only 160F or so...
Attached Thumbnails
Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-dsc_0137.jpg   Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-dsc_0143.jpg   Wild Porcini Mushrooms in Colorado-dsc_0144.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Porcini are one thing I always bring home from Italy. I don't even like mushrooms much, but those are truly wonderful, and even my kids love porcini mushroom risotto.

Those you found made my husband say "Holy cow!". Around here, we can get morels in the spring if we beat the deer to them... I don't know if porcini grow here.

Nice haul!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Serf

Nice! I didn't know Bolete were also known as Porcini. I live in Lakewood CO and have eaten lots of Bolete though not lately. Hope to find some again.

Brian