Old 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Master Builder

Default What are the pizza people growing in their gardens?

Down here in North Carolina I spent the day clearing out the area for the new pizza oven and preparing the vegetable garden for the year.

What are the pizza people growing in their gardens!!!

I've got plans for tomoto, bananna pepper, garlic, eggplant, as well as my herb garden. Does anyone have some tips on what to plant and when to plant to make sure that we always have something fresh to pick from the garden to make pizzas with?

Thanks!

Christo
Old 03-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Apprentice

Default Tomatoes

Has anyone tried growing San Marzano tomatoes here in the US? I've seen a couple of places that sell them. We grow our own basil and rosemary - but I'm thinking about doing tomatoes and peppers too???
Old 03-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Apprentice

garlic... it seems that a gazillion percent of the (boring) garlic you buy in stores comes from gilroy but if you grow it yourself you can really get pretty wide variations in taste depending on how much you water it, the type of soil, how often the neighbor's cats visit your garden ... some home grown garlic (even when using store bought heads as seed) can be incredibly HOT (as hot or hotter than serranno peppers).

last year we ordered several varieties of garlic online with the plan of having a garlic tasting party (the party never happened). we had to store it in a cool dark place so what better location than the tub in the guest bathroom.

beats the hell out of a glade air freshener.

this year we had a bunch of cloves left over that fell out of their identifying bags so i planted that and now we have a garlic mystery garden.

you are supposed to plant near the shortest day of the year and harvest on the longest although you can also plant in the spring in colder climes, but if you are going to do it you should do so now. so get on it !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Apprentice

How about wine and/or beer selection with pizza or wood oven cooking? We are having a baby on 3/31 and have relatives descending for several weeks so I know the oven will be running non-stop. We are at critically low level of alcohol. What do you all recommend - I'm looking for specific brand names!

Jay

www.texaspizzaoven.com
Old 03-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jay, If you are having a baby AND relatives for a few weeks....Everclear comes to mind.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

This is much better than what pizza oven owners grow. What do they drink?

My vote is Pinot Grigio. Nice dry white table wine, good with food.

Jay, did you go off wine along with your wife???

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Peasant

We enjoy either a Hendry Winery or a Storybook Mountain Winery Zinfandel. We are lucky, they are both close to our house. They perfectly match up to the pizza.---Mel
Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

Instead of giving up alcohol, i just decided to gain 25 pounds with her.

Pinot and Zinfandel it is...

I also enjoy a nice hefeweizen with a lemon or orange wedge.

Jay
Old 10-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Serf

Default garden pizzza

Hey its great to grow pizza garden but should be carefull kids love to play with small plants thats right

thanks

http://pizzarecipe.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Laborer

My wife and i prefer a nice full bodied red. A cabernet/merlot blend...a shiraz/cabernet blend..Since we a very close to the Finger Lakes Region of New York; the selection of wines is excellent