Old 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default See How Mozzarella di Bufala is Made

Check out our photo journal of how mozzarella di bufala is made. From the farm to the cheese producer -- lots of fun. It's the real thing.

http://fornobravo.com/brick_oven_coo...zzarella1.html

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Apprentice

Very interesting and definitely labor intensive.

Do you know if there are any producers within California?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Journeyman

Default Gardena Mozarella from Water Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Very interesting and definitely labor intensive.

Do you know if there are any producers within California?
(M) Check out:

http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/m...ladibufala.htm

(M) They claim to be the only water buffalo producers of Mozarella in the U.S. and they are next door to you in Gardena !

Ciao,

Marcel
Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Master Builder

Default Omg

I live in Garden-A and just this past weekend I was on my friends 20 acre ranch in Bangor! Did I know about this place - NO! We are going back up to Bangor for a weekend warrior road trip to the local County Fair in August. Will have to find the ranch.

Bubalus Bubalis www.realmozzarella.com
1207 S.Broadway, Gardena, CA. 90248. Tel: 310-515-0500
and
1944 Robinson Hill Road, Bangor, CA. 95914
Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Di Bufala

Thanks, Joe Engineer and Marcel, for the link. I was lucky enough to find some imported, Italian Mozzarella di Bufala at a very fine cheese store in Toronto's St. Lawrence Market. It was on "special," but the price still made me wince. I know that there are buffalo herds around here, but they are all prairie N Am animals. So, you guys are very lucky to live in CA, because there ain't no mozzarella producers within many, many miles of here. Dang.

I'll be using mine on focaccia I'm making for a friend's store opening on Saturday.

Jim
Old 06-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Journeyman

Default Mozzafella'

My friend here in L.A is an actor who grew up in N.Y making mozzarella in his family deli. He put on a one man show a couple of years ago where he spouted off about his dad, and his experiences growing up working in the deli. The set for the show was an approximation of the deli, and as he told his stories, he made mozzarella. At intermission, everyone met in the lobby of the theater, and were served the cheese we saw him make. I don't know if it was the atmosphere, or the blonde I was with, or his tears dripping in the boiling water, but that Mozzarella was the best I have tasted in my short years on this planet. Marco Zeno will be at the opening of our oven, and I will do my damdest to get him the freshest of Buffalo milk with which to work his alchemy. I hope you all can make it.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Check out our photo journal of how mozzarella di bufala is made. From the farm to the cheese producer -- lots of fun. It's the real thing.

http://fornobravo.com/brick_oven_coo...zzarella1.html

James
You mention in your essay that they make Pastuerized and unpasteurized buffalo mozzarella. Is there is a difference in the quality of the two? If yes, what's it like; and if no, why not make it all pasteurized?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

The non-pasteurized is only good for 24 hours. The taste and texture is great -- it's more creamy and a little more tangy. A great experience. But, you have to live within a few hours of Naples (or be on vacation) to try it.

At the end of the day, they throw away all the cheese that is left.

Pasteurized mozzarella is good for up to a couple of weeks in the store.

I'm pretty sure I have read that the U.S. has banning the import of all soft non-pasteurized cheese, and they are planning on banning non-pasteurized hard cheese soon.

Anybody know about that?

I know that cheese experts love non-pasteurized cheese -- and I have to agree that they taste the best.
James

Old 07-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
But, you have to live within a few hours of Naples (or be on vacation) to try it.
And that is part of the plan, you see -- just don't tell my wife that I am planning our trip to Italy just so I can try the cheese!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Peasant

Default buffalos

I live in Thailand were there are thousands of these buffalos. I will look into getting some milk. Can you freeze unpasturized cheese?