Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Artisan Ingredients

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default San Marzano Maters @ Lowes

Who would have thunk it?...........

San Marzano Maters @ Lowes-jennys-phone-pics-213.jpg

I was in my local Lowes today and stumbled across these San Marzanos. If there is any of ya'll out there, who doesn't already have the (Wood Fired Beehive in Utah)Utah Strain, and may be a little late in starting yours from seed: Check your local Lowes out. I have a second generation in the ground already. Thank's Russell .

PS. They were on the bottom row, It was bright sunlight, and I took this pic with my phone. Had to send it to the better half who sent the pic to the home computer. I did not get a price either, sorry .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 04-01-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: San Marzano Maters @ Lowes

Well, well, well, the SM are now mainstream and heirloom to boot! Gotta be cheaper than all the time and effort we have done to harvest seed and plant seedlings................your maters are already in the ground? I just started harding my seedling.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They had those here in sc last year too. Somehow, almost it just feels wrong to buy Roma tomatoes from lowes....almost.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Well, well, well, the SM are now mainstream and heirloom to boot! Gotta be cheaper than all the time and effort we have done to harvest seed and plant seedlings................your maters are already in the ground? I just started harding my seedling.
I found some more at my local nursery, when I was gathering up bone meal and and magnesium sulfate (epsom salt). Yes, I guess, they are becoming "mainstream". But, they have a long growing season and I think that they will fit in nicely down here . I was counting on last year for just seed. I got plenty last season. But, my bunch liked them also for salad tomatoes. I am planning on making some sauce this year and canning some as well. My only worry is this. They are growing so fast this year that I am worried that "my last years gals" may have crossed with the neighbors plants .

My maters really ain't in the ground so to speak. I transferred six to buckets and set them out on the deck. They were moved back to the sun room the other night, for what I hope is the "easter snap". The rest have spent just a little time outside. The ones that are in buckets will be an experiment with "hanging gardens". I have built some concrete reinforcement wire tubes for some. I am working on about a 30' row for some that will not be staked at all. I plan on setting a few out at the edge of the yard that will just have to fend for themselves. They may be eaten by the squirrels. If so, I will just eat them (the squirrels) back .

Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
They had those here in sc last year too. Somehow, almost it just feels wrong to buy Roma tomatoes from lowes....almost.
They ain't the same are they I have seen Roma "maters" down her for a while, but not labled as San Marzano's!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Apprentice

It is my understanding the Roma and the SM are both plum tomatoes, but just different varieties. We grow both for different uses. The SM's are really good dehydrated (or fresh) and spread on pizzas. The Roma's are for our salads and sauces primarily. We've been starting both from seeds in peat pots, then transferred to the garden.
jon
Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Both plum tomatoes, not the same exact thing...but as you saw, easy to get. And, they make dynamite tomato sauce. My wife canned 15 quarts a couple years ago from a bumper crop we had. I'm hoping I can get these SM plants to produce well this year.....and I'll be sure to save some for generation #3.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Master Builder

Selecting the best performers and using them for the next generation will eventually give you a strain that suits your circumstances. A slow but reliable breeding technique.

Your tomato crop (and the fruit) should just continue to improve.

Nothing more satisfying than your own produce preserved for later use and the bragging rights automatically come with it. So does the great flavour.
Gulf likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 AM
Journeyman

Make sure the seed is heirloom and not F1

F1 hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
?...They may be eaten by the squirrels. If so, I will just eat them (the squirrels) back .
Yeah, and the stupid horn worms too. But I don't plan on eating those gross things....

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin