Old 03-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Peasant

Default Why can't I find a way to start a new link?Re: Playing Videos

Hi,

I just got done with a 10 minute frustrating look for a way to start a new link. So, I guess I'll ask my question here:

What do the folks who use Fleishman's cale yeast do or know that I don't. I much prefer cake yeast to the bitter taste of the dried yeasts I've tried, but ever since Aneuser Buesch sold it I have had much difficulty with it. Shortly after the sale, I tried some that never worked and several more cakes over the years have lmarginally worked. The list of ingredients now includes corn starch and when I took a cake, mixed in up with a pinch of sugar in a cup of luke warm water. let the mixture settle settle for about 15 minutes, measured the sediment, which looked like it was all corn starch, I estimate that about 80 percent of what I'd paid over a dollar a cake for was non-yeast. I let the rest of the mixture alone for an hour or so with only a few bubbles observed.

Earl
Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Playing Videos

New thread: go to the page you want, say ingredients, there should be a blue button (where the "post reply" button is on this page) that says "new thread"

Yeast? Gosh, I don't know. I haven't seen fresh yeast in the US since I was a kid. I bought some in Italy once and smuggled it home. Maybe since it doesn't sell much any more, it's not too fresh.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Playing Videos

Thanks Dmun, I guess I didn't go back to the right list for any of my attempts. Now I'll know and maybe remember for next time.
I get my cake yeast now from Germany. The cakes are at least 3 to 4 times larger than here, they survive the mail well if wrapped in bubble wrap, newspaper, or other insulation. and the price is right, a former exchange student who lived with us sends a few cakes as a gift (not a good description when you consider that the word "gift" in German means poison)when she thinks about it.

Earl
Old 04-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: German Cake Yeast

Hi Earl,
I moved you posting here. Seems like the best home.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.