Old 03-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Favorite Cheeses?

I used to buy low moisture mozarella in bricks for my pizzas since I liked a nice stringy texture to the cheese on top. I'd suppliment that with a sharp cheddar and parmesan. .... Probably a more of a typical american pie pizza.

More recently we've gone to a buffalo mozzarella and used some goat cheeses too. I also like romano more than the parms now.

I like fontina and esrom but have not tried them on pizza yet.

Anyone found some other interesting cheeses or combinations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Favorite Cheeses?

I use Sprinz on my Pizzas, which is a kind of Swiss version of Parmesan (though the Italians would probably disagree)... mainly because I read an article on how some of the cows were kept for producing parmesan, and I know what conditions Swiss cows live in Well, that and I like the taste.

Do you ever use Gorgonzola for Pizza?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Master Builder

HTML Code:
Somewhere, I have a recipe for a pizza with a whole wheat crust and a pear & blue cheese topping - sounds like heaven to me and I plan to try it once my oven is back in business. The rest of the family, however, is vehemently opposed. Just means it will be all mine!

I was just thinking while typing this - wasn't Dave going to make his own cheese for pizza? Wonder how that's working out ... Dave ... ???
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Blue Gorgonzola Stilton...love 'em all.

Unfortunately the boss does not...even complains about cross contamination with the knife.

I get my revenge 'cause I don't do mushrooms or asparagus (unless it's asparagus guacamole...that's good stuff!)

XJ

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hehe, what would we do without our better halves...?
In my case eat more salmon, shrimps, aubergine, gorgonzola...

That was the one I was thinking of btw, blue cheese and pears, sounds delicious!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Apprentice

For pizza I plum for Gorgonzola or Red Windsor (it's a very stong tasting cheddar mixed and smoked with port - and it's bright pink - looks great on pizzas too):

Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Peasant

I think I had gorgonzola on a pizza with artichoke hearts, kalamta olives and dried tomatoes. And an olive oil and garlic base.

It was kinda sweet and sharp.

Excuse me. I'm new at this.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah h View Post
HTML Code:
Somewhere, I have a recipe for a pizza with a whole wheat crust and a pear & blue cheese topping - sounds like heaven to me and I plan to try it once my oven is back in business. The rest of the family, however, is vehemently opposed. Just means it will be all mine!

I was just thinking while typing this - wasn't Dave going to make his own cheese for pizza? Wonder how that's working out ... Dave ... ???
Hi Sarah.
I did make a lb of Mozzarella.
I used 1 gallon of whole milk.
Plus:
Rennet
Lipase
Salt
&
Calcium Chloride.

The cheese worked out fine, but the taste... odd
I think it was the Lipase that I added.
It's not required(only for flavor)
I didn't like it.
I am going to try a batch without it.
Sounds like a weekend project!
Woohoo.

I let you know how this one turns out.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've made mozzarella too, but not with lipase. I had wondered about ordering some, since the product, while good, was not as AMAZING as I had hoped (not that I was having inflated expectations or anything... ). I was also using the method where you microwave the curds and stretch, etc, but I think next time I'll just burn my hands in the hot water instead. It's too easy to overcook the cheese and then it's not soft. Still edible, just not soft. It does make a pretty good pizza topping! (now, if anyone has any water buffaloes around, that's the ticket!)

I saw something about using a culture to make the mozzarella- I'll look some more for that infomation, I think it'll add better flavor.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

ok, here's a link to some culturable starter for mozzarella.

Gourmet Cheeses, Books, Kits, Cheese Parties, and Cheese Supplies - Re-culturable Thermophillic

I won't have time to try it anytime soon (something about an oven...) but maybe someone else can give it a whirl?