Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Serf

Default Drying sourdough starter

Does anyone have any tips on drying sourdough starter for storage? I have read that if I put some starter in a cottage cheese container and let it sit for 24 hours it will dry and then all I will have to do is squeeze the sides of the container and the dried starter will crumble. Should the lid be put on the container durring the drying process or leave it off? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Drying sourdough starter

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for asking this question! I have thought it myself over time, but never got around to asking those with experience to weigh in on the subject.

I'll be interested in the responses from those who have dried the stuff..

Can you just pour some starter out on a cookie sheet? or parchment? set on the counter and wait for it to go solid?

Seams like in a sealed container the moisture would not leave the mixture very fast, and might mold before it dried...

JED
Old 04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Drying sourdough starter

What I learned was to spread some really active starter onto a length of wax paper.
Stick it somewhere it won't be disturbed and let it dry. It'll curl up real nice when thoroughly dry. Stick 'em in a blender to reduce to a powder. Seal it up in an airtight container and keep it in the freezer.