Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Apprentice

Default Cheese other than mozzarella

Just curious as to what other cheeses people use on their pizzas besides mozzarella. We found that Provolone Picante worked rather well. It has a nice, strong flavor and melts well in the WFO. My cheese monger recommended it as his cheese of choice for pizzas. And it would be great in sandwiches, too. And of course, Feta goes well with kalamata olives as a topping.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cheese other than mozzarella

Hi Papavino!

Smoked mutz (mozzarella), and smoked provolone are especially good for INDOOR pizzas which have no smoke quality. In a WFO they provide can be a nice change as well.

Blue cheese - in quattro formaggio, with walnuts and lots of other things such as blue cheese, walnuts, and caramelized onions or BC, walnuts, fresh figs, and bacon, etc. etc. (I usually use Danish blue for pizza, great blues are too soft IMO)

Swiss and especially gruyere with little piles of prosciutto or serrano ham, and a few good chopped olives. Also really good with asparagus and chopped egg.

Goat cheese with ???? almost anything. Including cardboard

Mascarpone with ???? fruit, in quattro formaggio, even in a modified Margharita.

That's enough for now, this is making me hungry!

Jay

(Okay, I admit it, the cardboard was a test to see how gullible you are!)
Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad I just ate a big steak so this won't make me hungry. Here goes.........

fresh mozzarella
smoked mozzarella and smoked provolone

my 2 "specialty" pizzas

From scratch (parmasan & romano based) Alfredo seafood pizza. Usually go with bay scallops and 41/50 gulf shrimp. I think it is pretty good, EVERYONE I have serve it to has thought it to be incredible, always asking for another (whole pizza, not a slice)

balsamic caramelized onions and sweet peppers, topped with prosciutto (don't be shy, put plenty on - just like a kids pepperoni pizza) and goat cheese. (I typically eat half of the goat cheese while building the pizza, love the stuff). 3 very bold flavors with the balsamic, prosciutto, and goat cheese; but somehow they tone each other down and nothing seems overpowering. I REALLY like this one.

RT
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Laborer

Asiago and mozz...
monterey jack with jalapeno and hot sausage
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Okay, I know this sounds a little off, But one of my favorite pizza's is Blue cheese and hot dogs,, Yea,,,, But I like it and thats all that counts right ??

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Journeyman

PizzaPOLICE ON DUTY!.. Hot dogs? Go stand in the corner with those pineapple people...

Honestly... you're not far off, if what I read around these parts is true. Back in the old pushcart days of Napoli, the operators catered to the great unwashed. Poor folk could ill afford premium foodstuffs and sought out the street ovens. The hot, flat bread topped with whatever spiced offal offered was truly a peasant's supper.
So yeah... (stomach churning) ... you're still in bounds.

Just don't put ketchup on it.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Laborer

Fontenella Cheese ,

Man I had this the first time a few months ago while we were doing pizza's on my Brother In Law's Big Green egg (We had a pizza stone and flipped the crust after 3 minutes then loaded the pizza and cooked for 3 more minutes.).

We were hittin 600 plus and the pies were great...any hooo back to the cheese. That pizza was Fontinella, Prosciutto, carmelized onions, and EVO.

It is dry like a Parmesan but melts awesome..... I think I have a chunk in the fridge callin me now... BRB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Guilty of using hot dogs. In my youth I think I tried everthing mom had in the fridge. I do remember hot dogs with American cheese. The hot dogs are actually pretty good (maybe a lot of sauce helped); the American cheese is a definite NO NO - turns black (almost ash) by the time the pizza is done (electric oven at around 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes - we did medium thickness crust with a lot of toppings). I vividly remember pulling the blackened gobs off with a fork, sprinkling on that dry nasty parmasan in a can. it actully made it pretty good, at least good to try it again the next week

guys, I would like to see a few more ideas on th blue chees. Details Please

RT
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
PizzaPOLICE ON DUTY!.. Hot dogs? Go stand in the corner with those pineapple people...
The funnny part is I would never put pineapple on,, Have tried it and didnt like it...
Quote:
I would like to see a few more ideas on th blue chees. Details Please
I just put my blue cheese on in place of the mozzarella,, Yes sauce too.... I have a friend who says to put the blue cheese on right after it comes out of the oven,, I just bake it regular.... I will give his method a shot next time..
Cheers;

Mark
Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One of our favourites is feta, pumpkin( pre part microwaved) and red onion.