Old 10-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Cento dop san marzano tomatoes

Has anyone tried the Cento brand DOP certifed San Marzano tomatoes?

I just returned from a trip to my local Publix grocery store. I found these tomatoes at $2.99 for a 28oz can. Not a weekly special, or hot buy...they have reduced there "every day" price down from $5.49 a can.
I am used to paying around $5 a can locally for any DOP tomatoes and about $4 a can from FB as well as a couple of other online sites (plus shipping).

Long story short, I bought 12 cans. Anyone have any feedback on these tomatoes before I go back and buy their entire inventory? I know this must be a pricing error.....Publix is good, but not known for being cheap.

RT
Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cento dop san marzano tomatoes

I have not used them myself but a VPN pizzaria here in San Antonio uses them and I thought they were superb some of the best I have tasted. That is a great price!

Jay
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've used them. I like them just fine. Other than the Delallo ones, they're the only other San Marzanos I can get around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Apprentice

We buy the Cento DOP San Marzanos here in RI at Price Right for $2.39 each and they are GREAT!! Other brands around here are $4 - $5 per can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Laborer

We get them around $4 a can in Tallahassee. I love them. Did a taste test tonight with Muir Glen organic vs. the Cento DOP San Marzano and it was amazing. The Cento tastes like the Platonic Ideal of a tomato. The Muir Glen (which I cook with all the time) tasted metallic in comparison.

Stan