Caputo Flour Bag Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caputo Flour Bag Question

I just found some Caputo flour, but the bag doesn't look like anything else I've seen.

11.5% protein, Tipo "00", Red Bag. If anyone knows about this that would be greatly appreciated!
    My Build Thread

Re: Caputo Flour Bag Question

Knockoff? Nothing about the logo or graphics says this is genuine Caputo flour, of any type. I may be totally wrong, I think this is someone's version of a copycat.

RT

Comment

Ditto RT but the origin should be on the label. While that can be faked too...I am willing to guess a careful examination of the labeling might reveal some hints and clues. For one, Caputo has not historically listed protein!

Jay

Comment

Well, I am glad I posted this. I was suspicious because the bag didn't look right. Turns out it really is Caputo flour....Well, the family name is Caputo. Natale Caputo now runs the Wiscon Corporation, a cheese management corporation, from which this product originates.

This was purchased at Tenuta's in Kenosha, WI. I am not going to give up on this just yet, though. I'll do a bit more research. They claim it is imported from Italy. If anyone else has experience with this product from Tenuta's, please chime in!
        My Build Thread

Comment

My flour's brand name is (Molino) and its great.

Comment

Here's the response I received from the owner of the company:
            Thank you for your email. Caputo brand double O or "OO" flour is
            imported from Italy by our company. We are not affiliated with Antimo
            Molino Caputo. However, I assure you that our flour is of the same
            quality. Both flours are the highest of quality and are perfect for
            pizza, bread, focaccia, etc.

Here's a bit more from another pizza forum:
            I was also alerted by the importer to the fact that there is another company, in Chicago, called WISCON, that apparently owns a trademark on the brand ?Caputo? under which they pack cheese and some other items. It appears that they are trying to capitalize on the Antico Molino Caputo success with their flours and have imported a ?cheap alternative? (the importer?s words) from Italy under the brand ?Caputo?. To avoid confusion, Antico Molino Caputo is using a new logo on their flours: ?Antico Molino Napoli?produced by ANTIMO CAPUTO srl?.

So, until i am ready to try it I can't say any more. But I can say that Greco and Sons out of Milwaukee is willing to will call 25Kg bags of Antico Molino Caputo pizzeria tipo 00 flour. I think it's time for a summer kick off pizza event!
            My Build Thread

Comment

“Caputo” under which they pack cheese and some other items. It appears that they are trying to capitalize on the Antico Molino Caputo success with their flours and have imported a “cheap alternative” (the importer’s words) from Italy under the brand “Caputo”.
              That pretty much sucks. Maybe, just maybe, if Antico Molino Caputo didn't make it so damn hard to buy their product there would be no incentive to produce fakes.

Around here, getting Caputo flour is like doing a drug deal - cash only, dicey neighborhood, one day of the week...
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I've given up trying to find the "real" stuff locally, no one sells it, not sure if any restarants or pizzarias are using it, I've stopped asking. Its sad when you are forced to resort to the internet EVERY time you need a particular item. Anyone know of an e-tailer of Caputo with free shipping?

RT

Comment

I've given up trying to find the "real" stuff locally, no one sells it, not sure if any restarants or pizzarias are using it, I've stopped asking.
                  That's odd because the sole importer of caputo flour is in Florida. You can email them and ask about local availability. The address I used:

ANNA@ORLANDOFOODS.COM

Comment

I have found that if you ask around, ie. pizza parlors or Italian deli's they will add in on their next flour order for you. Caputo 00 blue bag is what I use. 55lbs for less than $1 a lb. no shipping. Or it's $50-$75 just for shipping. I did try and just buy some flour once from a deli, 5 lbs. went for $3.95 a lb. ok if in a pinch. BEST flour ever is Caputo.

Comment

dmun, Orlando Foods is based in New Jersey, but I will email Anna and see if she can help.
                      Really, I'm done with it. After countless phone calls and visits to italian delis (of which we only have a few) and pizzarias, I stopped looking over a yr ago. I'm confident it is not available within 20 miles of my house. Beyond that, it is cheaper and less time consuming to just order it online, shipping charges or not.

RT

Comment

dmun, Orlando Foods is based in New Jersey
                        Well, duh. Wishful thinking perhaps. If it's any consolation, it's not easy to get in New Jersey, either.

Comment

Just another reason to make it to the FB open house this weekend. James has a ton of it.
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Umm, lets see. Air fare, hotel, tons of cash for stuff I want but don't need, all to save on shipping charges incured twice a year. Sounds logical and I could really use the vacation, but I just popped for my daughter's wedding 6 weeks age........I'm broke for life, seriously.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                              I just popped for my daughter's wedding 6 weeks age........I'm broke for life, seriously.
                              I'm dreading that day as well. I keep suggesting an in and out wedding at some Elvis chapel in Vegas, but that's not gonna happen...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X