Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Apprentice

Default Caputo Flour Bag Question

I just found some Caputo flour, but the bag doesn't look like anything else I've seen.

11.5% protein, Tipo "00", Red Bag. If anyone knows about this that would be greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Caputo Flour Bag Question

Knockoff? Nothing about the logo or graphics says this is genuine Caputo flour, of any type. I may be totally wrong, I think this is someone's version of a copycat.

RT
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ditto RT but the origin should be on the label. While that can be faked too...I am willing to guess a careful examination of the labeling might reveal some hints and clues. For one, Caputo has not historically listed protein!

Jay
Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Apprentice

Well, I am glad I posted this. I was suspicious because the bag didn't look right. Turns out it really is Caputo flour....Well, the family name is Caputo. Natale Caputo now runs the Wiscon Corporation, a cheese management corporation, from which this product originates.

This was purchased at Tenuta's in Kenosha, WI. I am not going to give up on this just yet, though. I'll do a bit more research. They claim it is imported from Italy. If anyone else has experience with this product from Tenuta's, please chime in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Master Builder

My flour's brand name is (Molino) and its great.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Apprentice

Here's the response I received from the owner of the company:
Thank you for your email. Caputo brand double O or "OO" flour is
imported from Italy by our company. We are not affiliated with Antimo
Molino Caputo. However, I assure you that our flour is of the same
quality. Both flours are the highest of quality and are perfect for
pizza, bread, focaccia, etc.
Here's a bit more from another pizza forum:
I was also alerted by the importer to the fact that there is another company, in Chicago, called WISCON, that apparently owns a trademark on the brand “Caputo” under which they pack cheese and some other items. It appears that they are trying to capitalize on the Antico Molino Caputo success with their flours and have imported a “cheap alternative” (the importer’s words) from Italy under the brand “Caputo”. To avoid confusion, Antico Molino Caputo is using a new logo on their flours: “Antico Molino Napoli—produced by ANTIMO CAPUTO srl”.
So, until i am ready to try it I can't say any more. But I can say that Greco and Sons out of Milwaukee is willing to will call 25Kg bags of Antico Molino Caputo pizzeria tipo 00 flour. I think it's time for a summer kick off pizza event!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
“Caputo” under which they pack cheese and some other items. It appears that they are trying to capitalize on the Antico Molino Caputo success with their flours and have imported a “cheap alternative” (the importer’s words) from Italy under the brand “Caputo”.
That pretty much sucks. Maybe, just maybe, if Antico Molino Caputo didn't make it so damn hard to buy their product there would be no incentive to produce fakes.

Around here, getting Caputo flour is like doing a drug deal - cash only, dicey neighborhood, one day of the week...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've given up trying to find the "real" stuff locally, no one sells it, not sure if any restarants or pizzarias are using it, I've stopped asking. Its sad when you are forced to resort to the internet EVERY time you need a particular item. Anyone know of an e-tailer of Caputo with free shipping?

RT
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I've given up trying to find the "real" stuff locally, no one sells it, not sure if any restarants or pizzarias are using it, I've stopped asking.
That's odd because the sole importer of caputo flour is in Florida. You can email them and ask about local availability. The address I used:

ANNA@ORLANDOFOODS.COM
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Peasant

I have found that if you ask around, ie. pizza parlors or Italian deli's they will add in on their next flour order for you. Caputo 00 blue bag is what I use. 55lbs for less than $1 a lb. no shipping. Or it's $50-$75 just for shipping. I did try and just buy some flour once from a deli, 5 lbs. went for $3.95 a lb. ok if in a pinch. BEST flour ever is Caputo.