Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up caputo!, CAPuto!!, CAPUTO!!!

First of all.

I owe a special thanks to James for sending me a prize of a 5 pack of Caputo flour.

I received it last week. And I couldn't wait to try it out.

So I mixed 2 batches on Saturday morning. I didn't have time on Friday night.....

I used the standard recipe, but with less salt.
500 grams flour
300 grams water
10 grams of salt
3 grams of yeast.

The house was around 69f so it was nice and cool inside.

I must say the dough properties were far superior to anything that I've used so far. The last couple of batches of dough, that I made out of standard bread flour, were far to wet with the recipe, but with the Caputo, it was perfect.

After mixing and placing the dough into bowls to rise, I could just see the difference. It's smooth, shiny, pretty. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure Caputo users understand. The dough is so silky smooth. And it feels wonderful. The working properties are outstanding. It stretched easily and never pulled back. I could stretch it so easily and I even did a bit of spinning. NO PROBLEMS!

Anyways, after doubling, cutting, forming, and resting. I made four 15" pizzas: a cheese, a sausage, and two pepperonis.
They cooked very well, no burning, no raw spots, nada. I did get a bit of the desired charring though.

The taste - Magnifico! The family raved about how good it was!

I guess I am a lifer now~!

Thanks again James.

OH..... I didn't take any pics.. I just forgot to take any in the feeding frenzy.

I'll take plenty next weekend though.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: caputo!, CAPuto!!, CAPUTO!!!

This is a little off subject, sorry! I notice all the recipes using grams. I have a Pelouze 2.2kg postal scale:
Amazon.com: Pelouze Straight Weigh Postal Scale SP5: Electronics

It has a 2.2 kg capacity and can handle tare weights (so I can subtract the weight of measuring cups).

Is this an appropriate device for measuring food weights or do I need something else?

Updated!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
This is a little off subject, sorry! I notice all the recipes using grams. I have a Pelouze 2.2kg postal scale:
Amazon.com: Pelouze Straight Weigh Postal Scale SP5: Electronics

It has a 2.2 kg capacity and can handle tare weights (so I can subtract the weight of measuring cups).

Is this an appropriate device for measuring food weights or do I need something else?
It should work just fine Ken. Just throw your measuring bowl on, zero it out, and start pouring!
I think mine will go up to 5 kg.
But I never get past 1 kg, even when using a heavy glass bowl!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken,

Postal scales are very accurate and can measure in quite small increments. What you've got will do just fine. The only downside is if and when you want to make larger batches; then you might need a scale with a higher upper limit.

Dave,

I agree entirely with your Caputo rave review. It's wonderful stuff to work with and makes the best pizza ever.

Jim
Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I should of said: mine will go up to 5 lbs.

Shop Salter Platform Scale at CHEFS.

I was lucky though, I found mine at the local Ross store for 9 bucks!

Talk about excited!

LOL

anyways..

You're good to go Ken!

How was that deep dish easy bake pizza?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So Dave, should James have the 55 pound bag shipped to the same address?
I told you that once you tried it there was no going back. With your large family, you will need a standing order of 1 bag a month. How about a few cases of San Marzano tomatoes while we are at it?
Sorry, shameless plugging and peddling of FB wares.....but they both REALLY are the only way to go.

RT
Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
So Dave, should James have the 55 pound bag shipped to the same address?
I told you that once you tried it there was no going back. With your large family, you will need a standing order of 1 bag a month. How about a few cases of San Marzano tomatoes while we are at it?
Sorry, shameless plugging and peddling of FB wares.....but they both REALLY are the only way to go.

RT
LOL~

As soon as I make it through Christmas, and overcome my finacial over-expenditures. I will be ordering a 55lb bag. I hadn't thought of the tomatoes. I guess I will have to order a few cases of those too. !!

No reason to be sorry about the plugs. It's a way of giving back to James for providing such a great forum.

dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Laborer

Dave,

You sold me, I'm going to order the 50 lb bag this week. One question for you though. What type of yeast did you use?

thanks

Richie
Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am always amazed at how much more water can be absorbed into the Caputo and still be workable...

I also agree with Jim that a larger scale is handy for larger batches. Mine only goes to 3kg andI max it out sometimes...

Don't forget the scale in the forno bravo store
Digital Scale for Pizza and Bread Dough :: Pizza Stones & Pizza Making Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store

Drake
Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Dave,

You sold me, I'm going to order the 50 lb bag this week..

Richie

Two more addicts. Ahhhhh. :-)

James