Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Journeyman

Default 6 IN 1 ground tomato

I know, I know... they're not San Marzanos, in fact they're not even italian. But I tried a can the other day and was totally impressed with them from the moment I opened the can. They were very fresh smelling and tasting - no can smell or citric acid taste at all. I've heard the brand name before but never used them because they aren't available in the supermarket.

Am I on the "late freight"; is anyone else using these tomatos?

Will I have to renounce my 25% Italian heritage for using a domestic tomato??

Brian
Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 6 IN 1 ground tomato

Yep. You found a really great product. They are sweet right out of the can.
Very tomato-y. Escalon is a fine company. These 'maters are picked red and immediately canned. Stanislaus (7-11) makes some fantastic tomatoes also.
Here's a tip. Dump your can (I buy the big #10 size) into a fine mesh strainer and let it sit for about fifteen minutes. If you don't stir it, you will see a nice clear stream of water leaving your sauce. The result makes them all the better. You can add some back if you deem your sauce to thick.
Have fun.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Serf

I have seen the remarks of some critics who claim to be purists and object to using Escalon's 6 in 1, but I agree with you, they are a superior product.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Journeyman

I understand the cricism of the purists and can't totally disagree with them. I guess the problem with me is that I'm only 25% Italian (Sicilian to be specific) and the rest is mostly Scottish. What's worse, I had a thrifty New England upbringing... so I like the good quality but especially like the cheap price.

As a side note, I sent a complimentary message to Escalon after reviewing their web site. Today I received a very nice note from them, but the return address was "hjheinz.com". They appear to be owned by "big business".