Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Journeyman

Default Yeast Activity

I started my floor today and thought I'd try a pizza, although in an oven. I'm using the FB dough recipe and am using a tipo OO flour by Milino, but not caputo. I'm not sure what the difference is.
After weighing out the water (at 100 degrees) I added the yeast. It was from a jar of Fleischmann's Bread Machine yeast - hightly active. It didn't seem to bubble as I expected. So I tried a bag of dry yeast to another batch of water and at least that bubbled some.
Could the yeast have gone bad or am I expecting to much.
I think I'll have more success at building a WFO than I will at cooking, but I'm going to try
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Yeast Activity

Yes, yeast goes bad after a time. I don't remember the numbers - something like 6 months or so (??), but the number of viable cells decreases over time.

-
Old 01-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC,

Do yourself a favor: toss the yeast you have and buy fresh. Bread machine yeast is not what you want. Use either active dry yeast (ADY) or instant dry yeast (IDY). Buy is in one pound, vacuum sealed bricks (MUCH) cheaper. Once opened, transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer. It'll be good for a year treated this way.

Jim
Old 01-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Journeyman

I knew I would get great advise by asking the experts here, now I need to go shopping for a one pound brick of active yeast here in Corsicana. Yah likely. Next trip to Dallas I'll pick it up with my Kaowool insulation. Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hit Sam's club.

I usually buy two big bricks there for about 4 bucks.

I leave one in the original package and the second one in a Ziploc.
I store both in the freezer.

My last purchase lasted over a year.

BTW - You can always add just a small pinch of sugar to the water.
That will let you know pretty quick whether your yeast is good or not.

have fun

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good idea Chef. Sams Club? Never would have thought of that myself? Dr. Jim, how have you been able to get active yeast regenerated for so long? We are talking generational yeast here, right?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
Buy it in one pound, vacuum sealed bricks (MUCH) cheaper. Once opened, transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer. It'll be good for a year treated this way.

Jim
Hi CJ.......................does the yeast need to be portioned before putting in the freezer or just go in as is?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

to continue that question, if not portioned prior to freezing, how do you deal with the frozen block when you need to use it?

Thanks!

-
Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Guys,

I'm not talking about wild yeast culture here, which I store in the refrigerator and refresh at least once a week. Instead, we're dealing with granular commercial yeast, either ADY or IDY. The bulk packs are in a brick because they're vacuum sealed. Once the brick is opened, you'll see that the yeast is indeed granular and loose. I store it in the freezer, not the fridge. The granules do not adhere to each other, even when frozen, so measuring is easy. I don't measure out portions, therefore, just keep the IDY and ADY in separate airtight Lock N'Lock containers. Really, stored this way, you can expect a shelf life of a year.

Fleishman's yeast is the most common in North America, but you can get bricks of SAF Gold IDY (French) and Red Star from mail order places like King Arthur Flour. The prices are premium, but the performance is premium, too. Even so, we're not talking about a lot of money, either way.

Jim
Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Journeyman

I was reading the e-book on pizza making and yeast I was using was the instant yeast and then I switched to the active dry yeast. But the recipe in the ebook calls for 4 times the amount of yeast versus recipe in FB home page. That is 10 gr(2 tsp) versus 3gr(1/2 tsp). I'm going to try the higher amount and see if that works better and then I'll try Dave's trick with the sugar.
How much yeast do you use with 500 gr of flour?