Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Les
  • 3 Post By cobblerdave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Serf

Default Wood Splitter

Has anyone had any experience with a wood splitter? The logs I have are a little large and I find that smaller pieces work better. I bought a pedal type splitter from Amazon but it was terrible and I returned it.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Wood Splitter

Oh I'm sure you will get a lot of comments on wood splitters!

I will start - I have used several. When I have a lot of wood to split I rent a tow-behind beast that is powerful and fast. For a lot of wood, I find speed to be a bigger issue than the power - but you don't want one that is underpowered either.

I own a manual splitter from Harbor Freight which s fine for splitting 1-2 firings of wood.

If I only need a few smaller pieces it is easiest to use a wedge (it looks like a large chisel) and a hammer. If the wood is dry you can split plenty of pre-cut pieces remarkably quickly
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have one of these. They really work well

Amazon.com : Fiskars 7884 X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch : Patio, Lawn & Garden

But I should note - I love spending an afternoon splitting firewood. I find it relaxing, and there's nothing as satisfying as seeing that stack of split wood when you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Journeyman

Hi, we have been using electric log splitters for years. We bought the first one from lowes. The splitter worked well until I loaned it to a friend and it came back with a bent rail. I was unable to get the replacement part from the manufacturer and lowes refunded my money. I will put a link to our current splitter at the end of the post. This splitter lets me work from my wheelchair. It stores easily and takes little space in the vertical position. Bruce

http://www.amazon.com/Powerhouse-XM-...XX4K64TWVTH47N

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't want to mess around splitting wood - get one of these and make us ALL jealous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-1Rx1NNDY
GrahamG likes this.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Journeyman

wow! I need one of those!!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Laborer

I thought this was pretty cool... for kindling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro2wMb7zJ60
Old 08-30-2014, 05:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Splitter

G'day steellearning
That's a pretty" cool tool " I would really like one of those. I'm pretty much a one armed axe man due to an old injury. That would produce the sticks id like ( with or without the dramatic music "
Regards dave

My Build

My Door